Chapter 34 - The Game Called Pirate Panic!

~~~

"I take it you all know how to play this game?" Monoma asks, a smug sort of expression on his face.

Itsuka has to restrain herself from clocking Monoma on the back of the neck once again. "They know how to play Pirate Panic," she says through gritted teeth.

"The players take turns sticking the swords into the slots," Monoma decides to explain, completely ignoring Itsuka altogether, causing her to clutch onto the cushion in irritation. "Whoever makes the pirate pop out the top, loses." He finishes with a simple shrug, as if the game is no big deal.

"Sounds easy enough," Kira says quietly, going along with Monoma, for now.

So, classes A and B selected their teams to compete against each other, class A being Kira, Toru, Ojiro and Kaminari. Class B includes Itsuka, Monoma, Tetsutetsu and Pony. Begrudgingly, Monoma wins the minigame of rock-paper-scissors to go first on the Pirate Panic. Kira perches on the edge of the sofa beside Kaminari, as Monoma wiggles his fingers in anticipation before pushing one of the swords into the slot.

Suddenly, he leaps backwards, twitching ever so slightly and Kira sits bolt upright, staring at Monoma's distraught expression.

"Kaminari!" He blames, once he recovers.

Her classmate looks completely aghast. "What- I-I didn't do anything!" He throws both his hands at Monoma in a panic. "It wasn't me!"

"Oh yeah, sure!" Monoma snaps back, once he's sat back into a comfortable position after Kaminari's supposed sneak shock attack. "I just electrocuted myself for no reason. Just because you're a sore loser-"

"I am not!" Kaminari appears offended at his persistent accusations. "I'm telling you, I didn't do anything!"

"Guys!" Toru cuts through the argument, her voice carrying. "Look."

She points to the barrel, noticing faint sparks coming off the sword that Monoma just so slotted into the space. The pirate doesn't appear to have popped out from the top either.

"It was the game," Kira whispers, in awe at the device before her, though that fact was obvious to everyone around her now.

"See?" Kaminari narrows his eyes at Monoma sitting directly across from him. "Apologise."

Monoma scoffs at the command. "No."

"Apologise."

"No."

Akira rolls her eyes at the duo as Kirishima tries to silence the argument from behind her, waving his arms in an attempt to get their attention. Both Toru and Kira seem fascinated with the game, as does Todoroki, as he leans over the table to ogle at the sparks flickering from the slotted sword.

"Where did you say you got this game from?" Kira questions, tilting her head to her classmate.

Todoroki leans back up then, turning his head to Kira. "I met Mei Hatsume outside."

Midoriya chooses to finally speak up, making his way from the back of the crowd of excited students. "Hatsume?" He repeats.

He then shares a nervous glance with Iida, who shares the same worried expression. "We should call off the game," Iida suggests.

Midoriya nods.

Iida clears his throat to try and get everyone's attention, but it seems impossible, what with Kaminari and Monoma still arguing, Kirishima trying to silence them, yelling over them. Itsuka whacking Monoma with the cushion, Tetsutetsu instigating the issue, egging Monoma on. Not to mention, the crowd of rowdy, impatient students locked in their own private conversations.