Chapter 129 - His Secret Is Safe With Her

~

authors note:
super long chapter to mark the end of the season!

much love x

~~~

Everyone in class 1A appeared especially giddy with anticipation for the upcoming Hero Billboard Chart to commence, as they couldn't seem to engage in anything else other than riveting conversation about who they think will be placed in the top ten for this term. The obvious first place was dedicated to Endeavour, though Todoroki kept himself distanced from that subject of discussion. There were several other adequate guesses such as Ryukyu, Edgeshot and the new rookie hero Mount Lady.

Kira voiced her opinion whenever she was asked, shooting out a random hero name to keep the answer short and sweet, but she didn't willingly engage in the topic, much like Todoroki. After all, this is another term of ranking the pros without her mother. The number twelve spot has long since been replaced by another aspiring hero and Kira hated it. She wanted that position to be left untouched, open and waiting for Light Bringer's surprising return.

However, Kira just had to face the facts: there's a very strong chance that Light Bringer will never show her face again. She could be all and well in another country and has merely ceased contact with Kira, but her heart knew the truth. The truth that pained more than she wanted to admit. She's missing, presumed dead by the League of Villains hand.

A thought struck her - Kira hasn't even informed her father of this possibility. That Light Bringer could have been murdered by the League's hand and he's there right now, in the middle of it all. When she sees him later today, she'll be sure to tell him.

"Kiriya?" Midnight's voice snaps her from her daze. "Did you need something?"

Kira looks around when she realises she's still in her classroom, standing at her desk. "Oh." She frowns, shaking her head slightly. "No, sorry."

"Hm," the teacher hums. "Sit down, then."

Kira nods and pulls her chair in behind her as she takes her seat, her eyes glued to her book before her. She wasn't at all interested in History, but she forced her mind back to reality. Midnight had faced the board again and was scribbling something down, but Kira was so lost in thought, that she's now lost in her learnings. Her eyes move to her blank book, which should be filled with notes by now. She'll have to copy someone else's later. Damn her and her busy mind.

When Kira last met her father, she spoke to him about her situation with Bakugou and he offered her some advice, though it was meagre. Still, it was something. Her eyes drifted away from Midnight again, before reaching Bakugou - he looked bored, but not disinterested, like he's determined to pay attention to every single lesson.

"Does it hurt?"

"Yeah."

"Then you have your answer."

Kira squeezed her eyes shut in hopes of ridding Bakugou from her mind, wishing to ponder on her father instead. They had agreed to meet up again the day of the Hero Billboard Chart and that was today. It was occurring after school hours and the students were practically swinging in their chairs with impatience, just waiting and waiting for the day to breeze past so they could rush back to the dorms and bundle together on the sofa's to determine who made it into the top ten. Kira wasn't even sure she wanted to watch it, but she could use the information.

With the excitement and suspense hanging over their heads like a brewing cloud, the rest of the day flew past in the blink of an eye and Kira was certain she had whiplash from it all. It's like Math and Literature never even happened and Kira's blank notebook was clear evidence of it, though she is the only one to blame for her lack of studying.