"If you keep squeezing my hand hard, you'll break my hand"

“Why do you look ready to cry?” Harry frowns across the kitchen at you as he chops at some vegetables. You were getting out plates and cups for dinner, biting at your lower lip as you did so.

“Because I am!” You snap in response, shooting him a glare. He holds his hands up, the knife still in his grasp, in defense. “You aren’t nervous?” You question him, feeling the nerves and panic overwhelm you.

“Love,” Your husband picks up on your extreme emotion then and drops the cutlery to cross the kitchen in a few large steps to wrap his arms around you and pull you to his chest. “Tonight is going to be fine. They aren’ decidin’ anythin’ tonight, it’s jus’ to meet us, okay?”

“They could say no though, Harry! They could take our baby away before we even meet them!” Harry sighs, knowing that there was no way to calm you in that moment.

Ever since the two of you found out you wouldn’t be able to conceive, he had gotten used to both of you having episodes of extreme and uncontrollable emotions that neither could help with except for to hold one another. You went back and forth between IVF and adoption but after a few attempts with IVF, adoption became the only route for you and Harry to start your family unless you found a surrogate but agreed to give adoption a go before asking or finding someone to do that.

“We’ll get through tonigh’ jus’ like we have everythin’ else - together.” Harry assures you, giving you a smile. You take a deep breath and give him a nod. “Now, let’s finish dinner and show them that their child would be well fed if they choose us.” You give a laugh, and head over to help him finish cooking.

The young teenage couple and their parents showed up not much later and everyone sat down to a meal. The teens explained that the baby happened accidentally and unplanned so they had agreed to find a family to take care of them better than they could. They had come across you and Harry’s file and were happy with your qualifications and after deciding that you seemed fit, they had the agency contact you two to meet before they could make the final decision.

“If you keep squeezing that hard, you’ll break my hand.” Harry leans over to whisper to his wife halfway through dinner. The entire time you had been gripping at his hand, your nerves growing as the evening ran on. You just wanted to know if the little baby growing in that young girls stomach would grow up with you and Harry already.

“Sorry,” You look over at Harry, trying to give him a smile and release his hand but he holds onto your hand firmly, giving you a warm smile. He leans over, pressing a kiss to your cheek. All he ever wanted was a family with you and he felt it was so close, he had confidence that this couple was the answer to the two of you starting a family.

“I don’t think there is any need to do anymore deciding,” The young teen said as her, her boyfriend, and both of their parents go to take their leave an hour later. Harry felt the evening went by smoothly, he did have ask you to not break his hand a few more times but he truly didn’t mind as he was happy to be your rock in that moment. “I know I’ve made my decision.” She looks at her boyfriend who gives a nod and turns to smile at you and Harry.

“Me too,” He grins. “You two ready to be parents in a few months?” You gasp, looking over at Harry as tears well up in your eyes. Harry grins, a small laugh escaping his pink lips as he pulls you into his arms.

“We finally get our family, love,” He whispers in your ear and in that moment you had never felt more in love or whole.

——————–

Credits:https://4everinsane.tumblr.com/post/168317556338/11-please