walking in on bff

A loud crack of thunder caused (Y/N) to wake with a start, her eyes fluttering open and lungs expanding in the wake of a hurried gasp. A reassuring squeeze was delivered to her arm, along with a low hushing noise from beside her. In her startled condition, she had disregarded the comforting presence of her best friend beside her and the ending of a romantic comedy playing on the television in front of her.

“Harry?” she questioned, looking beside her where he was already gazing down with a concerned cinch in his brow.

“(Y/N), love, y'okay?” he cooed to her, his arm on her shoulder drifting down to her waist as he pulled her closer.

“Yeah, yeah,” she mumbled, nodding her head, “The thunder just scared me. When did I fall asleep?”

A smile dawned on Harry face, a sunny opposition to the pelting rain outside. “Twenty minutes in.”

“Again?” she whined, dramatically rolling her neck back onto the cushioning of the couch, “I wanted to actually finish this one tonight.”

A breathy laugh fell from his lips, fanning across her skin. “I know y'did.” He gently curled his fingers around the soft of her side, warming her through the thin shirt she had worn for their movie night.

“Was it good at least?” she asked as she stretched in her spot, Harry’s arm falling from around her. She could feel his gaze warming the side of her face, even through the long yawn that stretched her face. Harry was silent beside her even after she posed her question. She looked to him, her eyes watery from the yawn as she breathed a small laugh. “What?”

Harry’s hands were laid in his lap, playing with his rings as a particular look filled his gaze. She’d seen that look once or twice, always in the weirdest moments did his eyes soften like that. Another bubbling of thunder rattled outside, not as deafening as the first round but still enough to pull Harry from whatever it was that lulled him into his distracted state.

“Hm?” he hummed, his eyes widening as he made a show of listening, “Sorry, I jus’ remembered something.”

“I was wondering how the movie was? Good enough to have another go so I can watch it?” (Y/N) fell back into the cushions, her shoulder brushing against his. She pulled her socked feet to rest on the cushion in front of her, wrapping her arms around her shins as she looked to him.

Harry’s gaze flickered from her own, down to the butterflies printed on her fuzzy socks. “It was alright,” he concluded with a smile tugging at the corner of his lips, “Can’t say it caught a lot of m'attention.”

“Bummer,” (Y/N) quipped, “At least I didn’t miss anything.”

Harry only nodded in agreement, ready to say something else as another roll of thunder plundered through the sky. (Y/N) looked over her shoulder to the half curtained window. A sheet of rain covered the glass, distorting any view she could have hoped to peek at outside. She didn’t think the weather was supposed to get this bad.

“I should probably head home; I didn’t think it was supposed to start raining until later.” (Y/N) stood from her spot on the couch, another stretch with her arms reaching above her head.

“(Y/N), are y'sure?” Harry warily objected, moving to stand beside her. A furrow crowded his brow as he fixed his gaze on her. “Y'can stay here. I don’t think it’d be safe if y'left in this.”

“Harry,” she sighed, playfully rolling her eyes as she turned to him, “I know what you’re thinking, and that happened one time. And, it wasn’t even that bad!”

Not too long after she and Harry had met, one of the first few times they had hung out just the two of them, (Y/N) had left to get home in the middle of a storm. The weather was much more intense than what was happening outside now, but (Y/N) hadn’t anticipated the low visibility and the chances of someone else on the road. Someone that paid much less attention than she did and didn’t mind swerving into her lane causing (Y/N) to slam on her brakes and hydroplane across the pavement. The worst of it happened when the skidding led her to hit the stoplight post with the passenger side of her car. Minimal damage occurred with only some scratches in the paint and a load of fear-soaked jitters to run through her body. In that moment, (Y/N) called Harry, who was only ten minutes away from where she was and the only person she wanted to be with her right then. Harry had taken her back to his house that night and took care of her as she came down from the adrenaline in her veins and cried out the fear that swam through her system. (Y/N) cites that as the night Harry became her best friend.