Chapter 153

February 3, 1996

"Look, it's your sister!" I pointed to Lorelai who was practicing volleyball with her teammates. 

"I want to go do that," Melissa whined. 

"I bet you do," I chuckled. "Come sit down next to Mommy."

Melissa was all the way down at the bottom of the bleachers, and I was at the second row, so she had to climb up. She stood up on one of the stands and was about to step on another one. 

"Melissa, don't do that, you could get hurt," I warned her. 

I saw it unfold before it even happened. 

She went to take another step, but her foot had slipped and she was about to fall forwards, but I launched myself in front of her to prevent her from falling. 

I smiled, remembering the time I fell forward to prevent Frances from falling. I wondered how she was holding up and if she was alright. 

I set Melissa down and sat up, brushing off my shirt. 

"Whoa, are you okay?" I asked her. 

She pouted her lip, opened her mouth wide, and I knew she was about to unleash a scream. I covered her mouth quickly and picked her up as she screamed into my mouth. 

Dave walked through the doors and I sighed. 

"Can you watch my stuff please?" I asked him. "Thank you."

I ran outside with Melissa so she wouldn't be loud and cause any distraction for the players. 

"You're okay," I told her. "That scared you, didn't it?"

"Yeah, I-I-I almost fell!"

"That's why you listen to Mommy. I told you not to do that. But you're okay. Brush it off. Are you ready to go watch Lorelai play?"

"Yeah!" She squealed and held my hand as we ran back inside of the gymnasium. 

I sat down next to Dave and hugged him as soon as I saw him. 

"I'm sorry; Melissa fell down," I told him. 

"No, I almost fell down," She said smugly. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around to find a woman-probably mid-twenties-holding a cup smiling at me. 

"That was a nice save," She said, talking about Melissa falling. 

"Thank you," I chuckled. "Yet somehow she still cried."

"I'm surprised you're not the one that's crying. My boobs would've been so sore after that."

"Well, mine are super small, so I have nothing to worry about," I laughed. 

"Hey, you look familiar. Aren't you Kurt Cobain's wife?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry about what happened to him. My husband died last year."

"Oh my. He did?"

"Yeah-overdose."

"Kurt had so many of those, I lost track after the third time."

"I felt so guilty after it. I didn't understand why he kept doing it, but after his first overdose, I tried to put him in rehab, but that didn't help."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"It's alright. I'm dating his brother."

I chuckled. "That's great."

"Mommy, I need to go potty," Melissa held her crotch.