Chapter 57

August 31, 1992

I woke up the next morning looking like a banshee. I turned on the shower, brushed my hair and teeth, then got inside of the shower. I didn't want to stand up for too long, so it was a very quick shower. I wrapped a robe around me and walked into the living room. 

"Goodmorning!" Shelli shouted. 

"Too loud," I whispered. 

"I'm sorry. The boys went out really quickly, they'll be back any minute."

"Okay," I sat down on the couch, closing my legs together. "Last night was so fun. They did amazing."

"They really did. I know that the audience had a lot of fun."

"Your husband is so fucking funny."

"That joke wasn't even that funny. The audience didn't even laugh; they cheered."

I heard the boys' voices, so I went into the bedroom and put on some clothes-a dress I brought with me-and I walked back out. 

"Hello!" I saw Kurt and kissed him. 

"Thanks for coming last night, Ruby," He smiled. 

"Of course. Where did you guys go?"

"We got some coffee. I'm going to start packing, okay? We're leaving in the afternoon."

"I'm sorry we couldn't stay longer," I told everyone. "I just can't because of the little one in my tummy."

"It's alright," Shelli assured me. "Besides, there's more chances."

I still hadn't told Kurt about what Dave said yesterday. I didn't want to start any conflict between them, but I felt like Kurt had a right to know what happened. 

That would be a talk for a different day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We left the U.K. at one in the afternoon, arrived back in Washington at ten, and made it back home at eleven. We dropped off Shelli, Krist, and Dave, then Kurt and I went back to our house. 

"Your parents are still at the house, right?" He asked me. 

"Yeah, they're there with Lorelai."

When we arrived, we walked inside to find my parents asleep on the couch with Lorelai in their arms. I looked at Kurt and he nodded his head. 

"I'll put Lorelai back in her bed," He lightly picked up Lorelai and carried her up to her room. 

I shook my parents awake very softly.

"Mom," I spoke. "Dad."

My dad snorted and sat up. "WHO'S THERE?!"

His shouting woke up my mother. 

"Shh," I chuckled. 

"Ruby!" My mother hugged me. "When did you get home?"

"We just got home. Kurt is putting Lorelai to bed right now. Was she good?"

"Yes, she was very obedient."

"Are you guys going to go back home? I could drive you back home."

"No, that's alright. We have a gift for you and Kurt, actually."

"Mom, you guys didn't have to do that."

"Well, it's for all four of us to enjoy."

Kurt came walking into the living room. "Thank you so much for watching her."

"We enjoyed it, son," My dad playfully slapped him on the back. 

I looked at Kurt and saw that he looked down. I hugged him and rubbed his back, knowing that he never had a father figure to call him "son" growing up. 

"Did I do something?" My dad asked. 

"No, no, it's alright," I let go of Kurt. "My parents got us a gift."

"You guys didn't have to do that-we are the ones that are supposed to be paying you."

"Nonsense!" My mother exclaimed. "We were spending time with our granddaughter."

"We got tickets to go see a play," My dad said. 

"What play?" I asked. 

"It's called 'Phantom of the Opera'."

"I've never heard of it. What is it about?"

"You'll have to watch it to find out," My mother smiled at me, stood up, and hugged me. "We have to get going home."

"Thank you guys again," I hugged my dad after he stood up. 

I walked them out, told them I loved them, then shut the door and locked it. 

"I am so exhausted," I told Kurt. 

"Me too," He sighed. 

We went to our bedroom upstairs and laid down in our bed. 

"Kurt, you guys were amazing," I told him. "That show was amazing."

He chuckled. "Thank you, Ruby."

"I love you, Kurt."

"I love you, Ruby."