Chapter 117

January 21, 1994

"You're crazy," I told Melissa. "Crazy, crazy girl."

She had spaghetti sauce all over her body. She even got it in her hair. This girl was the messiest eater. I put her in the shower with me and rinsed everything off, then put her in the bath and watched over her. 

"Daddy, be careful!" I heard Lorelai shout. 

"Whoosh!" Kurt jumped onto the bed with her on his back. 

That made my stomach drop. 

"Kurt Cobain!" I covered Melissa's ears, not wanting me to be too loud with her. "I would like it better if our child was alive. Could you please not do that?"

He walked into the bathroom and gave me a big kiss. 

"I'm going to go ahead and get into the bath with Melissa," He said. "Should we bring Frances, too?"

"Sure," I smiled. 

He grabbed Frances out of her swing and put her in the bath. 

"If you're going to get into the bath, then we have to make sure Lorelai doesn't see you naked, okay?" I asked him. 

"Just cover it up for me," He said. "Oh wait. It's too big to do that."

I chuckled softly. "Shut up."

I let go of Melissa and her and Frances started to splash each other. The water wasn't too high for them, so they were able to move around. Kurt quickly got into the bath with them and covered himself with bubbles. 

"I want to get in," Lorelai whined. 

"Do you want to take a shower with me instead?" I asked her. 

"No!" She stormed off and walked away. 

"Lorelai has a cousin named Nicole," I told Kurt. "She's Gretchen's and Travis's kid and she's around Lorelai's age."

"You should invite her over to spend the night tonight."

"Are you sure about that?"

"I can clearly tell that she always feels left out, so if Nicole comes, then that would definitely make her happy."

Seeing Kurt talk about Lorelai like that made me ecstatic. He really, really cared about her. She was his daughter and he was her father. I was her mother. We were all a big family and that's all I wanted. 

If Kurt just stayed and didn't go on tour as much, then things would be better and happier. Kurt wasn't even fully happy doing what he was doing anyway. He didn't even like touring or doing all of that. He didn't even like being away from us for a long time. 

We didn't like it either. 

I grabbed the phone off of the sink and dialed Gretchen's number. 

"Hello?" Gretchen asked. 

"Hey, Gretchen, it's Ruby."

"Oh," She seemed disappointed. 

"Sorry, were you expecting someone else to call?"

"No, I wasn't."

She wasn't being sarcastic. Why was she so angry?

"I was wondering if Nicole wanted to come over and spend the night? Lorelai wants to hang out with her."

"Oh, I don't want her going over there, but Lorelai can come over here."

"Is it because of what I did?"