Chapter 54

August 25, 1992

"No, we're going with you," I argued with Kurt. "We already talked about this."

"But Ruby, you're so pregnant!" 

"We can drive."

"Ruby!" He groaned. "No, you don't understand."

"I want to go with you."

"It's just a concert."

"At a festival. In the U.K. And it's your concert."

"Ruby, I don't want you to go into labor on the side of the fucking road."

"I'm not going to, Kurt."

He sighed. "Alright, well, no."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He said 'no'," I complained to Dave on the phone. "Like, what the fuck?"

"He just doesn't want you to go into labor while we're in the middle of nowhere."

"I understand, but-"

"I'll talk to him about it."

"Thanks."

I hung up the phone and sat down and starting reading and that was when I remembered something. 

"LORELAI!" I shouted. "COME HERE!"

I grabbed her new book from the shelf and sat down with her. 

"Let's read your new book. It's called 'Rainbow Fish'."

"Okay," She smiled. 

In the middle of me reading it, Kurt came downstairs holding Frances. After we finished reading, she went to the bathroom and I continued to read my book. 

"What are you reading?" He asked. 

"'The Haunting of Hill House'."

"What's it about?"

"I don't know; I haven't really gotten that far," I sat up. "Did you know that people think that 'DID' isn't real?"

"What's making you think of this?" He sat down on the couch.

"I don't know, I've just been thinking a lot lately. Do you think it's real?"

"I don't know, I don't know much about it."

"There's no way it's not real. Just because that one girl lied about it doesn't mean that everyone else is lying."

"But they could be."

"They could, but what are the odds? I mean, who was the first person diagnosed with it? That would help because I highly doubt that girl was the first person who said she had it."

"If she did, then that probably means that everyone would be lying."

"Why?"

"Well, she would've had to make it up, right?"

"Maybe."

"We should watch a movie tonight."

"Which one?"

"You pick."

"There's always 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. I've never seen it before."

"Yeah, maybe. Did you tell Dave about the Reading Festival?"

"No..."

"Ruby, are you serious?"

"I'm sorry! I just really want to go."