Chapter 82

January 23, 1993

We arrived in Rio De Janerio a couple days before the concert. It was a struggle getting to Rio De Janerio because of Kurt's behavior. He would go out of his way to find something to complain about and it was getting really tiring, but we had to give him a break. 

He was getting off of heroin, but he was still doing other stuff. I had to remind myself that we were taking baby steps, and soon he would be off of everything. 

Besides Kurt, Rio De Janerio was really beautiful. It was green like Washington and there were a lot of people there. 

As I was laying down in my bed, Jennifer knocked on the door. 

"Hi," She softly said. 

I sat up. "Jennifer?"

Dave brought her with us to Rio De Janerio. He really thought that they had a connection and he didn't want to abandon it. He had to really convince Jennifer to do it, but she ended up agreeing in the end. 

"Dave needs you," She said.

I followed her into their bedroom and looked around for Dave, but couldn't find him anywhere. Then, he jumped out in front of me, causing a sharp pain in my body and I crouched down onto the ground, startled. 

"Fuck you!" I shoved him lightly. 

Jennifer chuckled. "That was awesome."

"RUBY!" Kurt hollered for me. "THE GIRLS ARE ON THE PHONE!"

I rushed into the main room and grabbed the phone from Kurt. 

"Hello?" I asked. 

"Mom!" Lorelai shouted. 

I gasped. "Lorelai, hi! How are you?"'

She started crying. "I really miss you, Mom. When are you going to be coming back?"

"I'll be back soon, baby, okay?"

"Mom, I want you to come back now."

I started tearing up, too. Lorelai and I had always been there for each other everyday. I rarely ever left her side (besides work), but now I had been gone for a week. I missed her terribly, too. I'm glad we chose not to bring them, though-especially with how Kurt was acting at the concert. 

"I know, baby," I wiped my tears, too. "We'll be back soon, okay? Only three more days."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

"Alright, bye Mom! I love you!"

"I love you too, baby."

She hung up the phone and then I realized I didn't even get to say hi to Melissa or my mother. 

"You okay?" Kurt asked. 

"Just miss them a lot," I shrugged my shoulders. 

He pulled me into him and hugged me. "I know, but it'll be okay. We'll be back home soon."

"When do you guys leave for the concert?" I asked. 

"Soon."

"Now!" Krist snapped. "We should've been gone by now!"

I let go of Kurt and helped him put his shoes on. "Be good, okay?"

"Okay. Bye, Ruby."

Krist, Dave, and Kurt left very quickly. I knew that they were going to be leaving soon, but I didn't know that it was going to be that soon.