Chapter 137

March 30, 1994

Yesterday I called Krist multiple times and he had not answered, so I decided to drive to house before I drove to my parent's, when I noticed a familiar car in his driveway. 

It was Dave's. 

"Girls," I told, but I was specifically talking to Lorelai since Melissa wasn't able to understand me. "We're going to go inside very quickly, and then we're going to Grandma and Grandpa's, okay?"

"Okay," Lorelai squealed. 

I stepped out of the car with the girls and knocked on their door. Shelli answered with a sad expression on her face. 

"What are you all doing here?" She asked. 

"I called Krist yesterday and he hasn't answered, so I decided to just show up."

"Oh, well, come in."

I walked inside and saw Krist and Dave talking in the kitchen. 

"Go sit on the couch," I told Lorelai. "Take Melissa with you."

"Melissa, let's play with our dolls," She said, even though Melissa wouldn't understand her. 

I stormed into the kitchen. "Why the fuck haven't you answered my calls, Krist Novoselic? I left numerous messages and I called you so many times."

"Because the answer you're looking for should be said in person and not over the phone," He snapped back at me. 

Uh-oh. 

"What the fuck happened?" My voice cracked. 

"We were driving to the airport, and all was alright. But, then, at some point on the freeway, Kurt started screaming and bawling for him to get out and he tried to open the door to get out in the middle of us driving. When I showed up to the airport, I had to drag him inside because he was refusing to go. In the main terminal, Kurt punched me in the face and tried to run away, but I tackled him to the ground and we got into a fight. Kurt somehow managed to get away and screamed 'Fuck you' at me and ran away."

"Wait," I started to cry. "So where the fuck is he, then?"

"The rehab center called and he's there right now," Dave assured me. 

"Oh my god," I was bawling. 

He was worse than I thought he was going to be. Him and Krist literally fought each other. I felt so bad for him because he probably didn't even want to go in the first place. There was just nothing else to do at this point. I didn't know what else to do. Maybe I should've talked to him first instead of just forcing this onto him. 

"Can I call?" I asked Krist. "Can I call them? I'm going to come by and visit him today, but I need to fucking know that he's okay. What if he's not okay? Oh my god, what if he tried to kill himself again? Krist-"

"Ruby, stop," Dave grabbed me by the shoulders. "You need to calm the fuck down. He's alright."

"Here you go," Krist handed me his phone. 

I rushed to it and pressed it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hello?" 

It was Kurt's voice. 

"Oh my God!" I cried. "It's you! You're not dead!"

"Why would I be dead?"

"Because Krist fucking told me about what had happened yesterday while he drove you to the airport. That's not okay of you to do that. Do you know how much that scared me?!"