Chapter 18

December 8, 1991

Kurt and I hadn't talked since that one phone call. I wondered if he was okay or if he was still mad at me. I didn't want him to be mad at me-I hated it when people were mad. 

But, it gave me some time to get with Lorelai and see if she was really doing okay. She was my number one priority and I would pick her over any boy. 

There was a knock on the door and Lorelai opened up the door. 

"Lorelai, what did I tell you about ope-"

"GRANDMA!" She screamed. "WHERE'S GRANDPA?!"

"He's getting the suitcases from the car," She picked her up and kissed her all over. "Oh, how I missed you!"

My mom made eye contact with me and smiled. I walked over to her and hugged her. Hard. We never had a bad relationship, but it was never necessarily good. 

"GRANDPA!" Lorelai shrieked and I let go of my mom. 

Lorelai hugged my dad, then I hugged him. I helped them bring their stuff inside and told them to get comfortable. 

My mom started looking around and goes, "Hmm, it's very clean."

"I didn't know you were coming today," I smiled. 

"We wanted it to be a surprise," My dad said. 

I smiled. "Sit down. Do you guys want anything to drink?"

"We're good," They both said, sitting down. 

"How was the drive?" I sat down with them and turned on the T.V.

I was trying to pay attention, but then Kurt appeared on the T.V. 

"DADDY!" Lorelai ran to the T.V. 

Then, it switched to a woman with really light, blond hair. It was really messy and she had a lot of makeup on and was wearing a dress. 

"Kurt's mine, yeah," She said. "We got together a couple of months ago and we've been really happy ever since."

That was the same girl at the concert that said that she was going to get Kurt. 

It took me a little while to process what she just said. 

Was Kurt cheating on me?

"Ruby!" My mother snapped. 

"Huh?" I looked at her. 

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I shook it off. 

"Alright, come on."

She stood up and told me to follow her outside. 

"It's cold!" I protested. 

"Just be luckier it ain't hotter than Satan's hoo-ha," She winked at me and walked outside. 

I had the best mom ever. 

We stood outside the door and she asked me what was wrong. 

"First off," She cut me off. "Why did Lorelai call that man 'Daddy'? Does she do that to all men?"

"Let me explain. That man is my boyfriend."

"Ha! Yeah right."

"I'm being serious, Mom."

"My God. How did you meet him?"

"Dave is in his band."

"DAVE?!"

"Dave's their drummer."

"Oh, my. How is he doing?"

"He's doing great. But, I started dating Kurt and that woman on the T.V. said that they were dating. I've seen her before at one of their concerts and she told me that she was going to get him."

"People will say anything to get on T.V. Do you really think he would cheat on you? Because if you do, you shouldn't be with him-that means you don't trust him. If you don't trust him, that will just make you more paranoid and you will be so miserable."

"No, I know he wouldn't cheat on me-Kurt isn't like that. But there's always that thought in the back of my head. Why would she say that?"

"Again, she probably just wanted to be on the T.V. DAVE!"

I'm pretty sure my ears died after she screamed in my fucking ear. 

Why did she yell Dave's name?

I looked over and saw Dave. I ran to him and hugged him. 

"Hey," He chuckled. 

I just hugged him really tight and didn't let him go-I couldn't let him go. 

I let go of him, though. "Go say hi to my mom-she really misses you."

Krist came walking up and looked at me, then my mom. "Who is that mighty fine young woman?"

"That's my mother, you pervert," I hugged him and chuckled, knowing that he was just joking. "Is Kurt here?"

"He's on the phone with someone. Can we go inside?"

"Of course."

All three of them walked inside, but I stayed outside and waited for Kurt. Then, I heard him start to yell, "WELL, FUCK YOU! AFTER ALL THAT I DID FOR YOU?! FUCK YOU!"

A car door slammed shut and I heard footsteps near towards me. I saw his bright pink hair in the sunlight, and then he looked up at me and we made eye contact. 

It was really him. 

I ran to him and hugged him. I felt his arms wrap tightly around me and squeeze me. 

"Oh my God," I exhaled. "I missed you so much. Never leave me for that long ever again."

"I can't promise you that, Ruby," He kissed me. 

I let go of him. "Who were you on the phone with?"

"No one important."

"Kurt?"

"Yeah?"

"My parents are here."

"YOUR WHAT-"

"My parents are here."

"Why?"

"Seriously?"

Krist, Dave, and Lorelai ran outside. 

"We're going to take her to the park!" Dave shouted. 

"Looks like it's going to be just us four," I smirked.