Chapter 30

January 10, 1992

I woke up the next morning to the sound of Lorelai and a man giggling. Kurt wasn't home and neither was Dave or Krist. I rushed out to the living room and saw the neighbor on the couch. 

"You're still here?" I asked him. 

"Yeah," He stood up. "I'll get going."

"Why don't you stay for breakfast?"

"That's alright, I just-Breakfast sounds so nice."

I smiled and made some toast for him and Lorelai. 

I would have never been this trusting of someone, but he reminded me of Robert. The guy was a complete stranger and I let him sleep in my house after five minutes of meeting him-that sounded like a love story. 

"Who are you?" Lorelai asked the neighbor. 

"My name's Gavin."

Gavin! I had completely forgotten his name until just now. 

"My name's Lorelai."

"That's a pretty name. Is that your auntie?"

"No, that's my mommy."

"She's your daughter?!"

"Yeah," I sat down at the table with them. 

"Thanks for breakfast."

"You're welcome."

"Thank you," Lorelai said. 

"You're welcome," I took a sip of some random cup of coffee that was lying around.

I had so many doubts about Gavin. I didn't even know who the fuck he was and he spent the night at my house. 

"Listen, I'm sorry," Gavin apologized. "I threw myself into your house last night. My life has just been shit and it's been going down lately. I have no one."

"You're not going to do anything, right?" I asked him. 

"No, no, I would never."

"If you do or if I find out that you even tried to touch my daughter, I will fucking ruin you and your life and everything you have left. Do you understand me?"

His eyes were wide. "Yes, yes."

"Good. I'm Ruby."

"I'm Gavin."

"I know."

"When are you moving out?'

"Soon. I don't know the exact date, but I have to be out of here by the next six weeks."

"Six weeks?!"

"Yeah."

"Damn. Looks like we're not going to have a lot of time to get to know each other."

"I guess not."

"What time is it?"

"It's nine."

"Shit! I have to go."

"Oh, okay."

"Thanks for everything!" He ran out of the apartment. 

I ran to the door and locked it, then looked at Lorelai. 

"He's silly," She giggled and went into her bedroom.

I called Dave and he answered right away. 

"Hello?" He asked.