Part One Hundred and Sixty Two

Astons P.O.V.

After I laid Sophia down in her little cot and left the room, I ran down the corridor and ended up stood outside the hospital. I let out a huge sigh and leaned against the wall, resting my head back. I dug my phone out of my pocket and selected my mums number before calling her, she didn't pick up so I just left her a message.

"Hey mum, it's Ast. Listen, erm, the twins were born about an hour ago and they're two healthy, gorgeous little girls, Sophia and Ava," I smiled as I thought about my daughters before frowning again at the situation. "Mum I need your help, I don't know how I'm supposed to be this, be a dad, just..call me when you can."

I hung up the phone after that and slipped it back into my pocket. I quickly wiped a tear away that had managed to escape and closed my eyes tight. Why the hell am I feeling like this? For the whole nine months I've been super excited for this and now I've just ran out on my wife and kids.

"First time dad?" A voice asked, taking me away from my thoughts. I opened my eyes and saw a guy, a little bit older than me, stood at the side of me with a phone in one hand and a gift bag in the other.

"Er yeah." I sighed as he nodded at me.

"Jack." He said simply, holding his hand out.

"Aston." I replied, shaking his hand.

"So, what did you have?"

"Twin girls." I smiled slightly, as Jack leaned on the wall too.

"Congratulations."

"Thanks, this your first time too?" I asked out of politeness.

"Nah, third," Jack shrugged. "I've got two daughters and our little boy arrived about two hours ago."

"Woah, congratulations."

"Cheers..Listen, I heard the back end of your phone call, and this'll get easier you know?"

"I don't see how. I couldn't even figure out why she was crying, if I can't do that I don't see how I can be a dad."

"Mate I had the exact same problem, my misses had to tell me everything for a while. Women just click with being a mum straight away."

"Really?"

"Yeah, takes some men a while but you'll get there."

"I just don't want to let my wife down, we had trouble trying and she's wanted a baby for years..And then there's the girls, I don't want to be a horrible dad who doesn't know what he's doing. I haven't got a clue how to be a dad." I sighed, standing up straight.

"You're already a dad pal," Jack chuckled patting my back as I frowned. "All new dads panic like this, it's completely normal. I was the same, except I ran out and left the two of them for three weeks, and you don't want to make that mistake, trust me."

"Doghouse?"

"Worse. All night feeds for a month, a hen party, a weekend in Paris and a pair of designer shoes. But the worst thing is the enormous amount of guilt I get every time I look at my little girl, knowing that at one point I left her and I considered not coming back...Look I know you love your kids and your wife, obviously, so just go back in there or else you'll regret it for the rest of your life."

We spoke for a little while longer but what Jack told me really opened my eyes. I didn't want to be the kind of dad who runs out on his kids because he's scared. I've just got to face up to it and realise that all three of those girls in there need me.