Part Fifty Five

Ever since I brought up the whole job thing to Aston he's been having really odd days. Like, one day he'd stick to me like glue, the other he'd keep his distance and the next he'd blank me altogether.

I didn't know what to do. Do I leave home and everybody that I love or do I stay? My mum was coming over soon so I could talk to her about it, all be it she wasn't the proudest mother in the world, she agreed to come and help me to make a decision after I'd told her how conflicted I was.

"Do you want anything to drink Mum?" I asked as she strolled into my apartment.

"Just coffee if you've got it love," Mum replied as she went to sit on the sofa. "So what's this job offer?"

I sighed as I poured the boiling water into the two cups, she never beats around the bush or even waits until I've sat down, ever.

"It's over in America-"

"America! Fancy!" Mum gasped as I put the milk back into the fridge.

"Yeah, anyway. It's for Sears," I said as I went into the living room and handed her her cup before sitting down myself. "They're huge over in America, and they want to stock my range exclusively in their stores."

"So why are you so confused?"

"I'm not confused," I said as I rolled my eyes; she never listens when it comes to my job. "I'm just not sure if I want to go to America and leave everyone here."

"Aston you mean..Lucy you can't give up job opportunities like this for a boy."

"I was thinking more along the lines of my family than anyone else actually, you know, my nieces and nephews, Mark and Rachel? Aston's said he'll support me no matter what I choose."

"Not your parents?" Mum asked, as if she was offended.

"Maybe when they start to acknowledge my career."

"Lucy-"

"No, I get that you don't like my career but why can't you be proud of me? I've done all of this myself and not to toot my own horn or anything but I'm doing really well."

"We know that," She said as she shrugged her shoulders. "But you were so clever Lucy, couldn't you have just become a teacher instead? Then you wouldn't have to make these silly decisions."

"You wanted me to be a teacher, I've wanted to be doing this since primary school. It's not a 'silly decision', this could change my life."

"There's still time left though love, you could easily go back to university and start a course, you could be a teacher in the next three years."

"You just don't listen do you?" I scoffed, taking my cup into the kitchen. "I don't want to be a teacher. I want to be a designer! And I want my mum to help me decide what I'm supposed to do!"

"You know if I think on, I'll my friend Marie at work about her daughter, she studied to be a teacher and she's doing so well, Marie's very proud of her. I could find out what uni-"

"Get out." I sighed, walking over to the door and holding it open for her.

"W-What? Lucy you can't kick your own mother out." Mum laughed as she placed her cup on the coffee table before getting up.

"It's my house and I don't want you here," I shrugged as she picked up her bag. "I want you to leave."

"You're being ridiculous, just consider the teach-"

"No! Mum what part don't you get?! I'm doing what I want and something that I love, why can't you accept that?"

"It's such a silly direction Lucy, especially when you could've done so much more." Mum said, trying to rest her hand on my shoulder but I pushed it off.

"You know what? You've just made my decision so much easier, thanks Mum." I smiled sarcastically before shutting the door in her face.

I was so annoyed! I'm here trying to make, possibly the most important decision of my life and she's banging on about some teaching course! But strangely enough, what she said actually helped and I made my decision there and then.