Part One Hundred and Sixty One

"One for Mummy..and one for Daddy." The midwife smiled as she and another nurse passed me and Aston one of our baby girls.

When one of our little girls were passed into my arms, my breath got caught in the back of my throat. She was absolutely beautiful, with a cute little button nose but her eyes were still scrunched shut so I didn't know what colour her eyes were. They both had hair to die for; almost jet black with the curliest curls you've ever seen. She was adorable, both of them were. The nurses said that they were a bit more scrunched up than the average baby but that's normal with twins as there was two of them in there so they were squished together.

"They're gorgeous." I heard Aston say as he sat down on the edge of my bed.

"Aren't they just?" I sniffed as the baby in my arms yawned.

"Hey, you okay?" Aston asked as I looked up at him, his eyes full of concern.

"Yeah, it's just reminding me of Lilly, that's all."

"No sad tears today yeah? It's all about this gorgeous pair." He smiled before looking down at our daughters.

"So then, do we have names for the little ones?" The midwife asked, knocking us both out of our trance.

"I think she's Sophia." Aston suggested as he looked towards the baby in my arms.

"Sophia..I think she likes it," I giggled as she wriggled about when I said her name. "So that leaves Ava."

"Yeah, Ava suits her more than Alexis." He smiled, looking down at Ava in his arms.

"So that's Sophia and Ava Merrygold?"

"Yeah, but wait, which is the oldest?" I asked, making me sound like a bad mother that I didn't know but I was a bit occupied at the time to keep count.

"Ava babe, by three minutes. It says on the tags." Aston chuckled as he turned Ava's foot tag to face me.

We had another five minutes with the babies before the nurses took them away to do a few checks whilst me and Aston were taken back to our private room. Aston helped me to have a shower while we were waiting on the girls so that I didn't feel all sweaty and minging for any longer. Once I was cleaned and dressed, Aston called and sent out texts to our family and friends to tell them that our babies were here and we'd had two very healthy little girls. But the nurses soon came in twenty minutes later with our girls, giving us some information before they left us alone.

"They're so tiny." Aston chuckled, stroking Ava's tiny hand with his finger.

"Have you got Ava again?" I frowned as I looked over at him sat on the chair next to my bed, cradling Ava in his arms.

"Yeah, why?"

"I want to hold her, I haven't yet." I pouted before gazing back down at Sophia.

"Sorry babe, I just picked up the first one, here," He apologised, setting Ava down in her push-along cot, provided by the hospital, before taking Sophia off me and doing the same thing. He then picked up Ava again and passed her over into my arms before he gently lifted Sophia out of her cot and sat back down in the chair with her in his arms.

"I can't get over how much they look like you." Aston smiled, not moving his eyes from Sophia.

"They've got your hair though, mad curls." I giggled, gently running my hand over Ava's hair.

"How the hell did we get so lucky?" He sighed happily before lifting Sophia up slightly to press a gentle kiss against her forehead. "I love you so much."

"I think we suffered enough when we were trying."

"Damn right, but they're so worth the wait," Aston smiled, looking up from staring at our daughter. "Plus, we've got two of them so they were definitely worth waiting for."

"Look at you," I giggled, putting Ava's dummy back into her mouth. "Being all soppy."

"Hey, mum told me it happened to dad when I was born. It's normal," He chuckled before Sophia let out a cry. "Aw what's the matter sweetheart?"

"Luce, why's she crying?" Aston asked after trying to figure it out himself.

"Does she need changing?" I asked, shifting Ava over to my other arm.

"No."

"Does she need feeding?"

"No she wouldn't take it."

"Did you try burping her?"

"Yeah, I got nothing."

"Then just rock her for a little bit," I shrugged as he started to rock Sophia back and forth. "There you go." I smiled as she stopped crying.

"I-I gotta go." Aston stuttered, laying Sophia down in the cot.

"What?"

"I gotta go." He said quickly before leaving the room.

"N-Wait! Ast!" I called after him, but he didn't come back.

Now I'm left alone with two babies while their Dad does a runner.