Part One Hundred and Seventy Two

Astons P.O.V.

I left Ava and Sophia with my mum whilst I made my way down to the hospital. All I could think about was the last time she ended up in hospital after her collision with the lorry and how close I was to losing her. That's all that was going through my mind. I could lose her.

I tried to push that thought right to the very back of my mind seeing as I don't even know exactly what's happened to her yet. I got a ticket and stuck it on my window as I parked up before making my way into A&E.

"Hi, I got a call about twenty minutes ago. My wife's been brought in and she's in surgery." I said as soon as I got to the front desk.

"And what's your wife's name sir?" The receptionist asked.

"Lucy Merrygold." I sighed, getting my phone out of my pocket.

"Yes she's in surgery but I can get someone to take you to her recovery room." She suggested as I nodded my head.

"That'd be great, thanks." I smiled appreciatively before waiting around for a few minutes until someone approached me and led me up to Luce's room.

I sat on one of the chairs beside a place where a bed would normally be, just waiting for her surgery to be over. I was on my own for about twenty minutes before a doctor made his way into the room, requesting to speak to me about Luce and what happened to her. But what surprised me the most was the two police officers that followed him.

"What's going on?" I frowned as all three of them pulled up a chair. "Where's Luce?"

"Mrs Merrygold is still in surgery, it's all going to plan at the moment." The doctor told me as I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Then what's this about?"

"Your wife was involved in an accident in her workplace at around 2:24 this afternoon. The paramedics were called and arrived to see Mrs Merrygold lying unconscious at the bottom of a flight of stairs," One of the police officers told me as I felt my heartbeat quicken and my stomach churn as I imagined how much pain she would've been in. "And there were many witnesses that say they saw Lucy being pushed down those stairs."

"What?" I asked with disbelief. Someone pushed my wife down the stairs? On her first day back?

"It was said that Lucy was involved in an argument beforehand. Do you know of anyone who had something against your wife?"

"No, I can't think of-" I paused as I thought about what he said. An argument. "Michele."

"Sorry?" The policeman asked, looking up from his pad of paper.

"Me and Lucy took our children into her work a short while after they were born, I took one of them up to Luce's office to sort them out and Michele came up five minutes later. At first she was being quite pleasant but out of nowhere she tried to kiss me and Luce just saw the last part and freaked out."

"Do you have a last name?"

"Howard. Michele Howard," I said as they continued to jot things down. "Why are you asking me this? I thought you had witnesses? Surely they told you her name."

"Yes sir, but it's just routine to make sure the stories add up."

"We'll be back once your wife is back from surgery is awake to get a full statement." Once the policeman said this they both stood up and shook my hand before leaving the room.

"Now in terms of Lucy's condition, she suffered from a bang to the head which knocked her unconscious. And the operation is to stop the bleeding coming from her head to stop any permanent damage. She also gained multiple cuts and bruises around her stomach and her back. She was lucky in the sense that she only sprained her ankle rather than brake it." The doctor told me, reading the notes from his clipboard.

"Sorry, lucky? You think what happened to my wife was lucky? She's lying on an operating table probably fighting for her life and you call that lucky?!" I asked furiously as I stood up from my chair.

"I understand that this is a difficult time for you Mr Merrygold but your wife's condition could be worse."

"Alright fine, what else?" I sighed before he continued to tell me about Luce's condition.