Part One Hundred and Sixteen

"What's going on?!" I asked as I approached my family, sitting outside of the hospital room the receptionist said my dad would be in.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were at-" Rachel asked, standing up and pulling me into a hug as I cut her off.

"I was going to come later on but Ast practically forced me to leave, he's coming up after the last award. What's going on?"

"He woke up about fifteen minutes ago, so they're taking him off the life support now." Mark told me before pulling me into a hug after I'd pulled back from Rachel.

"That's great! So he's gonna be okay?" I asked as Mark pulled back and shook his head.

"They told us that he's still not strong enough, they don't think he's going to make it to morning."

"This can't be happening." I whispered before Mark pulled me back into a tight hug.

About ten minutes later, the doctor came out and told us what's been happening. They told us that it might be wise to say our goodbyes. Mum went in first, it was only fair, she was his wife. All three of us sat outside in silence, none of us knew what to say. All of us were losing our dad and neither of us knew how to deal with it.

Two hours passed and my mum and Mark had been in and out of my dads room and Rachel had gone in. A few minutes later the sound of rapid footsteps could be heard coming down the corridor. I looked up and Aston was running towards us, still dressed in his suit.

"Hey, I came as quick as I could," He said, breathless as I stood up and practically threw myself at him, wrapping my arms around his waist. "What's going on?"

"We've got to say goodbye." I muttered as Aston wrapped his arms around me, kissing the top of my head.

"Oh god, how are you holding up?"

"I'm scared Ast."

We sat and waited for the next twenty minutes until Rachel came out of the room with tears streaking down her face. She told me that I could go in now, so I got up and asked Aston if he'd come with me.

"Hey darling," Dad smiled weakly as I walked into the room, Aston in tow clutching my hand tight. "And Aston, how are you lad?"

"I'm doing great, how are you feeling?" Aston asked as I sat in the chair closest to my dad and Aston sat next to me after managing to shake my dads hand.

"I've been better." Dad sighed as I squeezed Astons hand.

"How'd this even happen dad? You were fine a few weeks ago."

"I'm old love, it had to happen sometime."

"But not now! You're only 53 you-"

"Lucy it's gonna happen, I can't stop it."

"But our wedding, you have to be there, w-who's gonna walk me down the aisle?" I asked as my voice wavered.

"I've already asked Mark to do it. Luce I need to tell you something." Dad groaned as he shuffled in the bed a little bit.

"What?"

"I'm so proud of you sweetheart, for everything, including your job. And I'm positive you're gonna go on and be a huge success."

"Y-You're proud of me?" I stuttered as Aston squeezed my hand gently.

"Of course I am, your mother and I both are..Aston, make sure you take care of her for me." Dad breathed as he laid back and Aston rubbed my hand with his thumb.

"You don't have to worry about that, you just focus on getting yourself better." He said as a tear slid down my face.

"I trust you son, make the wedding a special one for her."

"Dad, me and Aston are trying for a baby!" I blurted out as my dad opened his eyes.

"You are?" He asked as I nodded my head and forced a smile. "That's great, Luce, really really great, I'm so happy for you." He added, squeezing my hand the best he could.

"I know you said we were keeping quiet about it," I started as I turned to face Aston, who looked positively shocked. "But I thought that it might give him something to-"

And then I was cut off by a long deadpan beeping sound. I spun my head around and my dad looked like he was asleep, with his eyes closed and his hand was limp in mine.

"Nice try dad," I giggled, shaking Astons hand off mine. "Come on, wake up..Dad?" I frowned, squeezing his hand as I stood up.

"Luce-" Aston said as he tightly took my hand in his.

"No..No, no Dad wake up. Wake up!"

"Babe-" He was cut off by a bunch of nurses quickly coming into the room and checking my dads monitor.

Astons P.O.V.

I could see it in his eyes when he spoke to Luce that he knew he was going some time soon. He just looked so weak, fed up and in pain. He knew this was his time.

When the beeping of the machine went off, Luce was adamant he was just sleeping but when the nurses came in, I think it made it quite clear to her that he wasn't asleep.

"Miss I'm sorry-" One of the nurses started as the white sheet was being gathered at the bottom of the bed.

"No..NO!" Luce cried, and I could see her legs start to cave in so I quickly wrapped my arms around her before she fell to the floor. "Ast!"

I didn't say anything to her, I just turned her in my arms so her head was pressed against my chest. I didn't know what to say to her, she's just lost her dad, what do you say to that?