Sympathy For the Devil

"Oh, you bet

"Oh, you bet. Oh, okay. thank you. That was a scout. He's passing through town on his way to Virginia. He's gonna try to stop by and see the slamball semifinal.'' Nate beams at Luke, Kam and I.

''Well, that's cool, Nate. If anyone deserves a second look, it's you.'' Kam pats him on the shoulder.

''Hey, speaking of the game, any hard feelings if I can't make it? Julian wants to get the script to the studio tomorrow. So I'm sort of in crisis mode.'' Lucas looks at our younger brother.

''No worries, man. I'll see you at the championship after we win tonight.''

''Absolutely. Can I ask you a question? What was no your best memory of Dan?''

Nate and I share a look as he answered, ''I don't know. The day he went to prison..... Michael Jordan basketball camp. Yeah, I was about 10 years old, and Dan pulled some strings to get me in, and it was the first day, and we were in this, like, meet-and-greet line, and Jordan was gonna pick one of us kids to play one-on-one against. I remember I was so nervous, My knees were about to buckle. And I think Dan could feel that 'cause he put his hand on my shoulder to steady me, and when Jordan finally came by, "this is my son, Nathan. he's got a great jump shot."

''And what happened?'' I wondered.

''I played one-on-one against the greatest player in history. It was one of the best days of my life. Why? What's with the question?''

''I have this scene to write, and I'm trying to be objective. I guess I'm just wondering if Dan ever had a soul. ''

''Sure, he did. He sold it a long time ago. Write the man the way he is; evil. That is what he deserves.''

I look at them, ''He's been evil for so long, but he does care for the kids. If you want some happy memory big brother, ask the kids he hasn't had the chance to make them hate him yet."

Luke bit his lip as he nodded, "Yeah thats probably a good idea."

"Now if you need Keith stories I'm full of them." I grin, popping an m&m in my mouth.

"You know, it sucks I wasn't around Keith growing up. I missed out on a good guy." Nate sighs.

"You may think that but he cared for you Nate. He had some art work hanging up on his fridge that Deb had given him. It was all sorts of basketball drawings of yours." I side hugged my brother

"For real?"

"Oh yeah, he had to move some around cause Luke got jealous that he didn't have any up as well."

" I was not jealous... I just didn't like Nathan back then... It was the summer of Michael Jordan." Luke pouts, making us all laugh.

"I'm so glad we have these weekly lunch dates. I really need them." Mikey moans as he stuffs a burger in his mouth.

"You sure? All you do is stuff your face as Blake and I gossip." Kameron comments wrinkling his nose at his husband.

Mike shrugs as Tom nodded his head, "We just come for the food."

"Oh whatever Tommy, you're into the gossip more than we are." I laugh, pressing some mashed potatoes to my lips.

"Anywho what's the hot goss today?" Tommy smiles at me sarcastically.

"Has Peyton talked to you about Julian?" Kam asks me.

"Not exactly, all she said was he's a good producer."

"More like a good ex boyfriend."

My mouth went slack,"no. Really?"

"Heard her and Brooke talking about it the other day."

"So does Lucas know?" Tom asked, brow raised.

"Nope. She hasn't told him yet."

"That girl causes drama with her eyes closed."Mikey states with a laugh.

"It's called supply and demand." Keithy states as he, Merida, Kayson and Jamie stood before Hales, Kam and I.

"No, it's called taking advantage, and it's not very nice. Sit down. What is this?" I asked looking at the snacksthat lay before us.

"A kickback. It's yours to keep if you're in cahoots." Merida smirks.

"We most certainly are not in cahoots. Didn't you learn anything from your pooky wooky book?" Kam asks making my nose wrinkle.. I didn't like the book.

"Treating your friends well is more important than extorting them." Haley added looking at her son.

"What's extorting?" Kayse asked eyes on her aunt.

"I think you've learned enough economics for one day. "Kam laughs.

"We just want to buy daddy a slamball trophy." Jamie pouts.

"All right. You're a sweet kid, even if you are too smart for your own good sometimes."

"So we're in cahoots?" Keithy and Jamie held identical smiles on their cheeks.

"I'm really happy Uncle Nate didn't get hurt at his slam ball game." Kayson yawns as we all lay on my bed.

"Me too, baby, me too."

"Mama?"

"Yes K?"

"where was uncle Luke tonight?"

" He had to have a talk with grandpa."

"Was the talks about uncle Keith?"

I quickly looked at the tired toddlers beside me.

"What about uncle Keith?"

"That he wasn't very nice to uncle Keith when he was alive. " Keith closes his eyes, giving into exhaustion as Kayson looks at me.

"I heard the big kids in aunt Haley's class say that grandpa shot uncle Keith. Does that make grandpa a bad person?" She looks up at me.

"I think it makes him a very very troubled man, darling."

"Is it okay to love him?"

"Its okay to love whoever you want to love, my babies."