Running to Stand Still

"So, how'd it go with Haley?'' Luke asks our younger brother as we rode to Dan's hearing

''She's gonna need more time.''

''Maybe you'll listen to me when I say your nanny has a bat shit crazy look in her eyes, then maybe the bitch wouldn't have ended up in the shower with you thinking she's Haley.'' I comment.

''Cut it out B. Well, give it to her. You owe her that.'' Luke stated, after my little rant.

''I just wish he would have helped us more, you know? It would have been really nice to have a father today... someone I could actually turn to for advice.'' Nathan looks at Luke before turning his eyes back to the road.

''Yeah. You know, for the past four years, I pretended that Dan didn't exist. Then I get this letter, and it hit's me... that one day, we may have to face having him in our lives again. Let's not let that be today.'' Our older brother stated, hatred still in his eyes.

''On another note. I want to know why I'm always in the back seat? You guys are always sitting me back here like some child.''

''Well don't act like one Blake.'' ''Bite me Lucas.''

I sat in between my brothers in the hearing room(?) as Dan walks through the door.

''Hello Children.''

Luke shot the man a look of distaste as I snorted.

''Good afternoon. When I was 17 years old, I fell in love. Her name was Karen. And for a long time, she loved me back. We had a son and daughter... Lucas and Blake.. But we never became the family we should have been. Instead, my brother, Keith, assumed that role. And in my heart, something died. I deserve to be in here. There's no excuse for the crime that I committed. And believe me when I tell you I spend every moment wishing I could take that fateful day back. Keith Scott is dead because of me. And that's something I have to live with for the rest of my life. So I'll just make one pledge here today. If at some time you decide to grant me my freedom, know that I'll spend every living moment trying to mend the lives of the people that I hurt by my actions. Because I have lost more than my freedom. I've lost something far more important than that. My family. These young men and woman stand at the dawn of their adult lives. So far, because of what I put them through, they've had it pretty rough. They deserve better. They deserve a father. I hope someday you'll give them that.''

Holding my breath, as I took hold of my brothers' hands.

''Thank you, Mr. Scott. Does anyone else wish to speak at this time?''

Lucas let's go of my hand as he stood up, hands in pocket.

''Yes. Um, I'm Lucas Scott. I'm his son.''

''Please, go ahead.''

''My father abandoned my mother when she was pregnant with my sister and I. He left us to struggle on our own, even though he was a man of means. Growing up, I only had one person to look after me... Keith Scott. And this man killed him... his own brother... in cold blood at point-blank range. Next week, I'm getting married. Keith... Would have been my best man. But he's not gonna be there, just like he didn't see my state championship or see my first novel published or Blake's children grow up, or her first business. Dan took all that. And he did it with malice and premeditation. Dan is an educated man, and if he is nothing... He's very persuasive. Do not let him fool you. He has a very dark and ugly heart. And he should never be allowed to walk the streets a free man. So as you deliberate his fate, I ask you only one question. How can a father hope to influence his sons and daughter when they never even came to see him? Never even once.''

Nathan and I share a wide eyed look before the man in the front shook his head.

''Thank you. Um, actually... It looks here that, uh, Nathan and Blake... You've been to visit your father recently. Is that true?''

''Yes.''

I've never been so happy to sit in the back seat. At least here I was away from Lucas's accusing glare.

''What the hell? You went to go see Dan, and you didn't tell me. Why?''

'''Cause I was done with him, and I wanted to tell him to his face. I didn't think it mattered. And don't be mad as Blake, I made her take me.''

''Well, it did matter. Just like getting up there and telling them who he really is mattered. Don't you get it?''

''Get what?''

'' If they think you still need Dan in your life, they might let him out. You know, it's not me I'm worried about. Or you. It's Jamie, Kayson and Keith. Dan's gonna try to get to them. You know that. The only way to keep both of your families safe is if Dan stays locked up.''

''How's Rachel?''

''She's asleep. I'm going to take her to a rehab when she wakes up... I can't believe I cut her off like that.''

I nod my head, as I watched the twins play in the yard.

''Daughters do stupid shit to get their mothers' attention. At least now you know it's a mistake, you can fix this Brooke. I promise.''

''I have to go, she's waking up.'' ''I love you Brookie.'' ''I love you too Blake.''

I hung up the phone before I went to the kids, they were playing in the sprinkler.

''How's my little monsters?''

''Mommy?'' ''Yes, Keithy?''

''Are you alright?''

"I am now.''

''You sure? You looked really sad when you picked us up from daycare.''

''Yeah, you two always make mommy feel better.''

I smil before a honk was heard, i looked up to see Mike, Tom, Kam, Merida and Killian.

''What are you guys doing here?''

''We know it was rough today, you know with everything?'' Mikey smiled at us.

''So we decided to have a sleep over. I brought the complete series of Boy Meets World.'' Tom states, holding the dvds up.

''and we brought, hot chocolate, m&ms, and many more sweets.''Kam grinned.

''You guys are too good for me, you know that right?''

''Of course we do, we just keep you around for entertainment bestie.'' Kam laughed, pulling me into his arms.