The Search for Something More

"Guys, have you ever heard of UHF or Their Sara?'' Haley asked as we continued to look through CDs

''Yeah, UHF. They're from Portland, right? They're good.'' Luke stated.

''Um, but with SARA, they're great.'' I  nodded looking over her shoulder.

''Cool.''

Our heads turned towards the door of the shop as Nathan walked in.

''You okay?'' Lucas asked Haley.

Apparently Nathan showed Brooke a note she left him and Brooke made fun of it... Or something like that.

''Yeah, I can handle it.'' Hales assured us.

Luke and I stepped back from them as Nathan came closer.

''I called your house. Your mom said you were  here.'' My younger brother clasped his hands together.

''Crap. I should lie to her next time.'' Haley scoffed.

I let out a small laugh at her fiesty-ness.

''Look, I didn't know until Brooke read that note, okay? I didn't even know there was a note until later. I wouldn't do that to you.'' Nathan's eyes begged my friend.

''Okay.''

''So...cool?'' Nate asked hopefully.

''No, no.''

''Well, you believe me, right?''

''Yeah, I believe you're sorry.''

''Well then, what...''

''Look, this whole tutoring, hanging out, whatever it is, thing. It's just a bad idea. I'm done. I'm just done.'' Haley said walking away.

I gave Nate a quick hug and sorrowful look before I followed my unbiological sister.

"Check the voicemail. I want to make sure Jake didn't cancel on me tonight.'' I demanded my brother as I made a glass of tea.

''Bonjouno. I am Marcello Vivari of the Genoculudidian Institute in Florence. I call for Seniorina Karen Roe. '' An Italian man called out as mom walked in.

''When does the  'do not call' list kick in?'' Luke asked us.

''Excuse me, but we haven't heard from you. We sent a letter inviting you to start next week and, uh, we haven't heard a word so would you be call enough to call me back.''

I looked at my mother.

''Isn't that the school you've been talking about forever?'' I asked.

''Yeah...''

''Mom! That's great!" Luke and I exclaimed together smiling.

''It's no big deal. I'm not gonna go.''

''Mom, this is a HUGE deal!'' I assured her.