First Day on A Brand New Planet

(Lucas and Blake when they were kids

(Lucas and Blake when they were kids.)

I sat with Lucas on the roof of Mom's cafe. He, Haley and I do this thing every year where we write predictions of the school year then read the ones from last year the day before school.

''Looks like we're gonna have to go to Augusta to get in a decent nine holes, huh?'' Haley asks as she walks over to us, looking around.

''We didn't think you were coming back so we... took the course down. It didn't feel right, letting it fall apart.'' My brother explains.

''You're just tired of me schooling your sorry butts.''

''I didn't think you'd remember.'' I said, handing her a paper.

''Are you kidding me? Tomorrow's the first day of school. Every year we try and predict what the next year's gonna hold and... every year I realise how out of touch I was with the year before. Unless of course this says that I'd be married and separated by now.''

''Well, zero hour.'' I say as we unfold our papers.

''You first.'' Haley points at Luke.

''This year, I'm going to kiss a boy'.'' Luke said nodding.

''That's mine! It's from seventh grade!'' Haley shrieks.

''Well, it finally happened for you then.'' I joke.

''Shut up! What about you?''

'''This year I'll talk to Peyton Sawyer!''' I exclaim excitedly.

''It doesn't say that!'' Luke yells, taking his paper back.

'' It does, look at it'' Haley said.

''Oh. ''

'''This year, I'll volunteer at the tutor center'.'' Haley said.

'''Jake Jageilsky will ask me out.''' I frown.

'''Mom and Keith will finally get married'.'' Luke adds.

''Keith will adopt me.'' I narrowed my eyes.

'''I'll date musician'.'' Haley frowned.

''Why do we do this again?'' I asked.

''It's supposed to be fun.''

'' How bout this year we wait and see how the first day goes before any predictions?'' Haley looked as us.

We both nod as we refolded our papers.

''It's good to have you back, Haley. Couldn'ta done the senior year without you.'' Luke smiles at our friend.

''OK, I know in high school you always feel like everyone's staring at you but this is ridiculous!'' Haley exclaimes as we walk down the school hallways.

''Well, they're not used to having a celebrity in their mi-'' Haley hits Luke laughing.

''Ow!Get over it.''