All Tomorrows' Parties

"You ready to talk about her, yet?'' I ask Peyton from the passenger side of her car

Brooke, Peyton, Hailey, Kam and I were all driving to Brooke's fashion show, though I had to beg mom to let me go.

''I'm dealing with Ellie's death the way she woulda wanted me to; by really living life. And what better way than road-tripping to New York in this... sweet ride and... and then hopping on a plane, nine hours later, and flying to Charlotte.Ellie would've loved it.''

I smiled and patted the girl's knee.

''And Rachel is gonna hate it. Win, win! Are we on schedule, navigation girl?!'' Brooke beamed, looking to her right at Haley.

''Well, yeah, except that, uh, we promised to switch seats once we hit Pennsylvania.''

''I'm pregnant, I'm up here all the way through.'' I grin at me sister-in-law.

''Hmmm,... so, James-Scott, what're you more excited about? The fashion show or the cheerleading competition?'' Kam asks, from Brooke's left.

''Uh,... sharing a hotel room with Nathan.''

'' Erugh, you a so Brooke's roommate!''

''Whatever! Oh, slug bug!'' Haley reached over Brooke and punched Kam's arm.

''Ow, you slutbasket!'' He exclaimed, making us all laugh.

''OK, my turn. Oh, wise radio, what is gonna happen to me in New York at the Rogue Vogue fashion show?'' Brooke said reaching forward and messing with the radio.

''That was the first question you asked and you can't ask the same question twice.''

''Well, I didn't like my answer and it's not like only one thing can happen at a fashion show.''

''Yeah, but it defeats the purpose of the radio game. It's like magic eight ball; you have to take the first answer you get.'' Kam explains to the cheerleader beside him.

''Yeah, I didn't get a do-over when the answer to my question: 'What will happen with me and Nathan' was 'Highway to Hell'. OK?'' Haley added, making me laugh.

''Fine. I will accept that at some point this weekend, someone will pour some sugar on me. My next question is: what is Lucas thinking about? Right...now. ''

She stopped on a station and Torn Between Two Lovers by Mary McGregor started to play. Let me tell you, the car got so quiet and so awkward, I almost died.

''How bout movie quotes?'' I ask.

''Great. ''

''I'll go first. Um,... ''Why would you wanna marry me anyhow? So I can kiss you anytime I want.''

''Sweet Home Alabama. You would pick a line from one of your favorite movies.'' Kam added.

''Oh my god, you guys, look! ''