Birthday

[AN - It's my birthday so just writing something small, it won't be much]

I worked with Mello on a project alone at the mafia. I noticed he kept glancing at me, but I said nothing, he was the boss and had a temper, I didn't want to set him off. I thought we worked ok until he threw the notebook and pen he was holding onto the ground.

"Argh, I can't work with you," He complained, running his fingers through his lovely blonde hair.

"I'm doing everything you tell me " I defended myself.

"No, it's not that," He shook his head.

"I usually refuse to work on my birthday, I made an exception for you," I sighed, not understanding his problem. I was trying my damn hardest for him.

"It's your birthday? Why didn't you say so? You can't work on your birthday!"

He stood up and held his hand out towards me.

"Come on, let's get out of here," He commanded.

"Well, ok," I smiled as I took his hand and he pulled me up off my seat.

We stopped to get our stuff, left the hideout and walked to the nearest bar.

"Vodka and diet coke?" He asked as I took a seat.

"Yes please."

He went up to the bar while I glanced around. It was a small, dingy place, quiet in the middle of the day. He came back with the drinks and we drank a toast for my birthday. I was nervous and unsure of what to say.

"So about the Kira case," I started.

He placed a finger over my lips.

"Shush, no work talk," He ordered.

We talked about this and that, until we finished our drinks and he took out his wallet.

"Shit, I'm broke. I have vodka at my place if you wanna come back though?"

"Sure, why not? Thanks Mello."

He grinned at me and we left the bar.

"I have to stop to buy chocolate," He announced.

"Of course,"I smiled, he was never without his chocolate.

I looked at magazines while he bought his chocolate, I already had the anime magazines so I didn't need to buy anything.

His apartment was small but cozy. I got comfortable on the couch while he fixed our drinks, then he handed me the brown bag from the shop.

"Happy birthday, Y/N."

I opened it to find a box of Milk Tray chocolates.

"For me?"

"Yes, it's your birthday!"

Wow, Mello buying chocolate for someone else must be a first.

"Thanks, Mello. You can help me eat them."

"I'd love to. Do you want to put some music on?"

"Yeah, I have my tablet with me, I'll pick something."

He watched me as I searched for a song.

"Oh, Y/N. When I said I couldn't work with you, it's because you're too pretty. It was distracting."

"Me? You think I'm pretty?" I asked in shock.

"Yes. I want to kiss you."

"Then kiss me," I said, so he did.

[Music I picked]