Love Me In The End (Mello X Matt)

Mello pov

Things were great when Matt and I first got back in touch. I'd called to ask for his help with the Kira case and he'd flown over from England straight away. He was a great help with the case, but he was more than that. He was my best friend since childhood, and there had always the possibility of more lingering over us. Now that we were older and free from the constraints of Wammy's House, it finally happened. Matt and I became lovers.

We shared a small apartment and I loved having his cheeky humour back in my life. He was still obsessed with computer games and despite knowing him my whole life, he was still quite a mystery. He was quiet and usually joking around when he did speak. I liked the mystery but I was determined to unravel him someday. He was so chill and so handsome, he just so Matt and I was in complete awe. I'd been an idiot to ever leave him.

*Timeskip*

Things got a little rough after the initial "honeymoon period." I was so wrapped up in trying to find Kira, I was hell bent on getting revenge for L, and determined to beat my rival Near and be number one.

I didn't have as much time to spend with Matt, so he played his games even more, rather than confront me about it. I guess he was afraid I'd blow up at him if he did, but I thought he just preferred his games to me. I was also afraid to ask, in case I was right. (For once I wanted to be wrong)

We struggled on, barely speaking or kissing. He'd even stopped joking around. My mind was mostly on the Kira case but I was becoming more and more convinced that I wasn't enough for Matt. What if after all these years of wanting him, I just wasn't good enough? After all, I was never good enough at anything else, and I was starting to realise that he meant more to me than anything, but what if I was too late?

I still loved him so much but I didn't know how to show it. I felt more sad as the days and weeks went by, but that made me 'act out.' I lost my temper even more than usual, and started fights out of frustration. I was unhappy and sure that he couldn't stand me, though he stood by me.

Matt pov

Mello was occupied with the Kira case and I knew how important it was to him. His devotion was one of the things I'd always loved most about him. I just wished he was still as devoted to me.

I'd never questioned his feelings for me before, but he seemed to just want to fight all the time now. Of course I knew he was temperamental and argumentative in general, but he'd never been like that with me before.

I knew we were meant to be together though, we had always said that since we were kids, though we didn't know then we'd end up dating. We had seemed so right and now it was all going so wrong.

Mello pov

"Mello, we need to talk."

The words sent shivers up my spine as I looked at Matt in horror. He rushed over and held me.

"I still adore you, Mello, and I want to show it more. I know you've been busy and I didn't want to intrude, but we need to make more time for each other."

My eyes filled with tears as I held him back.

"I need you, Matt. You're the only one who puts up with me."

"What? There's nothing to put up with."

"Yes there is. The way my mind works, and the dreams I probably won't achieve."

"You will, Mello, you can achieve anything, I know it. You're the one who puts up with my stupid jokes and gaming all the time."

"I get scared, Matt." I whispered. "I say things I don't mean when I'm angry. But I love you."

"I love you too. And we're going to be ok."

💛♥️