You Blew Me Away

"If I'm to die,
I'd rather it be with you
than anyone else in the world."

It was just another typical day at the mafia, or so I thought. I knew Mello had a plan in place in case of a police raid, so I wasn't too worried when I heard all hell break lose. Mello had never been wrong since he joined us, so I knew he'd take care of it. To be honest, I just ignored the stampede, since I was in a different part of the building at the time. I continued on with my work, humming to myself.

That was until the building blew up.

"What the fuck?!" I thought as I heard the bangs, and the building went ablaze. "Did that crazy fucker just...?"

I didn't think for long as intense pain kicked in. I was fucking burning. I tried to scream but I couldn't hear anything anyway, the explosions were still going off.

I knew I was dying, I was already badly burned and all strength was leaving me. I had a flashback of being scared of fire as a child. And now...

It hurt like hell but I felt comfort in knowing it would be over soon. I couldn't survive much longer.

There was one last thing I needed to do, I had to see if he was alive. He couldn't die like this, not now. He needed to beat Kira. And I needed to tell him...

I crawled along the floor, through the heat, dust and noise. There were bodies everywhere, all dead and none the one I was looking for.

"Mello..." I tried to shout his name but my throat was burning up. With my last ounce of strength I pulled myself forward.

"Keep going, keep going." I told myself. I thought of Dora from Finding Nemo and her catchphrase "Just keep swimming" and I laughed silently. This was a ridiculous situation and I was thinking of a Disney Pixar fish to give me courage.

I gave a sigh of relief when I saw golden hair on a slender body, clad in leather. He wore a gas mask and half of his face was covered in blood but it was unmistakably Mello. I summoned one last bout of strength to keep crawling until I lay beside him. I put my arms around him, being careful of his wounds. He was still breathing, thank God. He was clutching his rosary beads tightly.

"I never told you, but I love you Mello."

He didn't reply but I felt his lips on mine, before I lay my head on his chest and died.