Matt's Mistake (Mello x Matt)

*Author pov*

"Matt, you're very melancholy today."

"Do you even know what that means? And I'm just thinking, is that a crime?"

"Depends what you're thinking about. Spill it."

Matt turned to him excitedly.

"Right, so you know how I always call Misa a cute girl?"

Mello lips formed into a pout and he glared at his boyfriend.

"Yes Mail, I'm very well aware of that. Is there a particular reason why you feel the need remind me again?"

"I can't explain myself with a gun pointed at me. Put that thing down."

Mello lowered his gun but kept it in his hand.

"So, I've been thinking how cute and hot you'd look in pigtails and a dress, and those stocking things."

Mello stood up and slapped Matt across the face.

"You fucking pig! Even if I wanted to wear a dress I'm not gonna do it to remind you of someone else! If you'd rather date her then date her, I'm not gonna let you fuck me while you think of someone else!"

He stormed off to their room then slammed and locked the door.

"Shit!" Matt followed and knocked at the door. "Mello, that's not what I meant. Please, open the door."

"You do NOT want to deal with me right now, Jeevas."

Matt knew he'd better give his man some time to cool off. He sat back down on the sofa and cursed himself. He was debating whether it would be inappropriate to play a game right now, when he heard the sound of crying. His heart sank and he went back over to stand outside the bedroom door.

"Mello, I'm sorry. I swear I didn't mean it like that, I phrased it wrong. I love you Mells, I only want you, you know that."

There was no answer, just continued sobbing from behind the door. He leaned his head against it, tears welling up in his own eyes.

"You fucking idiot Matt, you know how sensitive he is about feeling hes not good enough." Matt berated himself silently.

Mello had one heck of a tough exterior, but when he hurt, he hurt badly. His utter determination came from needing to prove to himself that he was good enough. But he was more than good enough for Matt, he couldn't even begin to explain how much Mello meant to him.

"I guess it's time I tried."

"Mello, you're my number one, you're the only one for me. Please believe me, you're my whole world. I'd die without you, I'd die for you. Hate me right now if you need to, but don't cry because of me. I love you."

The door opened and Mello stood there, with a tearstained face and messy hair. They fell into each other's arms and clung to one another.

"I'm sorry, Mello."

"It's ok. Maybe I overreacted. I'll do the pigtail and dress thing for you, but I'm picking the dress and it won't be like hers."

"You don't have to."

"I want to. I love you too, dickhead."