Choose (2)

Mello and I were all loved up, or so I thought. But not long after Matt left, my boyfriend went right back to ignoring me. But I didn't even have Matt for company now, and Mello still wanted me to be in his apartment all the time. I tried once again to get him to pay attention to me.

"I'm trying to work here, can you fucking leave me alone?" He snapped.

"You're always working. Why am I even here?"

"Because I tell you to be here."

"You only told me to choose because your ego was threatened when I slept with Matt."

"No that's not true."

"Oh don't lie, that's exactly what happened. Well I'm leaving your shitty apartment right now and I'm leaving you too. Goodbye Mello. Have a nice life, try not to get yourself killed by Kira."

I stormed out and slammed the door. He didn't even bother to come after me. I walked down the street in tears. Why did I love this motherfucker so much? I had to stop and sit on a wall, I was crying so badly.

"Excuse me Miss, could I help you?"

I looked up and saw a guy with brown hair and eyes, dressed in a suit and tie. He seemed concerned and I was touched by his kindness. I couldn't get any words out though.

"Did your boyfriend upset you?" He asked and I nodded. "He doesn't deserve your tears. What's his name?"

"Mello. But he's my ex boyfriend now."

"Mello? That's an unusual name." He had a strange look on his face.

"What's your name?" I asked him.

"You can call me Raito." He held his hand out and I shook it.

"I'm Y/N. Thanks for stopping."

"Of course. I know we just met but if you need a friend I'm a good listener. You can tell me all about this Mello guy if it helps you."

Again I caught a flash of that strange look he'd had when I mentioned Mello's name before. I didn't have time to dwell on it though.

"That would be nice, Raito. It's not like I have any other friends now."

"Would you like to get a coffee with me so we can talk somewhere more comfortable? I know a good place near here."

"Yes, if you're sure I'm not taking up your time?"

"Not at all. I want to make sure you'll be ok."

The cafe was just around the corner and we sat at a table at the back. He looked sad to be there.

"Are you ok?" I asked.

"Yes, this cafe just reminds me of a friend. He loved cake so we came here a lot and always sat at this table. But then he died."

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that."

"Oh well, all people have to die." He sad sadly and looked away. I gave him a moment. I thought a caught a hint of a smirk on his face when he looked back, but I must have been mistaken.

"Let's go back to your problem though. If you need to talk about Mello I'm listening. I'll even have a word with him if you want me to. Or more than a word. I can't bear to see women treated badly. If you tell me his location I'll take care of him."

"No, I don't want you to hurt him. I still care about him. I still love him." I started to tear up again. "Please don't hurt him."

He looked slightly pissed off but nodded.

"He's been injured recently as well. My poor baby..."

"He's not your baby. Remember whatever he did to make you cry. How did he get injured?"

I pressed my lips together, trying not to laugh. "It's a bit of a bizzare story. You might not believe me."

"I'll believe you. You don't seem like the type of person to tell a lie."

"Um ok, well he was in an explosion. That he kind of caused. That is, he blew a building up while he was still inside it."

"He sounds like quite a character."

"Yes, he is." I sighed and checked my watch. "I should head home now, before it gets dark. Thank you again."

"I would very much like to stay in touch, Y/N. Just as friends."

We swapped numbers and said goodbye for now.

(That's right, I had unknowingly made friends with Kira, who recognised Mello's name and was planning to use me for information. Was I about to get the love of my life killed?)