Assassin (2)

I came to work one day and was told I'd be going out on a job alone with Mello. I gulped, checked I had my gun, then went to find him.

"Hey you're here, let's go." He said when he saw me.

He handed me a motorcycle helmet and I climbed on behind him. It was a simple job, we'd gun some people down at a drug den and take their money. We went in and did it. The den was just in someone's house, and being the nosey fuckers we were, we decided to have a look around once everyone was dead.

We ended up in the bedroom, which had a huge four poster bed. I jumped on it to test it out.

"Aww man, this is so comfortable. I always wanted one of these."

"You should have one, princess." Mello replied from across the room.

I closed my eyes to enjoy the comfort and felt/heard a thump as Mello joined me.

"You're right, this bed is amazing." He commented. "I wonder if there's any money in the drawers." he started looking through the bedside locker. "Dear God." I heard him say a few moments later.

I looked over to see him holding at least ten boxes of condoms.

"Well someone was getting laid a lot." He said and we both laughed.

"Hey, since we're here, do you want to use some of these?" He asked me.

"No."

"Ok." He threw the boxes back into the drawer, got up and left the room. I followed him with a sigh, not wanting to leave the comfortable bed.

I found him outside, already on the motorbike and waiting for me.

"Hold on tight, I'm gonna go faster this time." He told me.

I wrapped my arms around him and we sped back to base. It was a short journey but I felt so happy being close to my mafia boss. When we got there, he went to hide the money, then came back with a bottle of vodka, diet coke and two glasses. He nodded towards one of the couches and we sat down.

"To a job well done." He said as we clinked our glasses together. "I'm glad you joined us. You deserve your excellent reputation. Also, I just like having around. I don't like many people but you're cool. I hope we can friends."

"I don't want to be your friend." I replied, more harshly than I meant.

The smile fell off his face.

"Ok, fine." He said as he got up and left.

I wanted to go after him but I was called away to do something else and I didn't know what to say anyway. I hardly saw him for the rest of the day and when I did, he basically blanked me. I found him to say goodbye when I was leaving and he said "Yeah seeya" without even looking at me.

I walked home slowly in tears. Everything had been going so well, what had I done?