His Best Friend's Girl (Chapter One)

I'd been dating a guy named Matt for a few weeks now. We'd met at a bar and we were both fairly broke so we usually just hung out in the apartment he shared with a friend.

He had red hair and green eyes. He was tallish and hot, though usually stuck into video games. I didn't mind too much, I'd read or watch anime while we chilled out. He always wore jeans, striped t-shirts, a beige waistcoat and weird goggles.

I hadn't really met his flatmate properly. He tended to storm in and out of the apartment, yelling more often than not. He had longish blonde hair and always dressed in leather.

I didn't know exactly what either of them worked at

I didn't know exactly what either of them worked at. I had suspicious that Matt did some hacking work, but I knew better than to ask him directly. I also knew that his friend did some important but top secret work. To be honest I'd forgotten his name already.

One night after Matt had fallen asleep, I went out to his fridge to get more cider. I noticed his friend was sitting on the sofa eating chocolate. I plopped down onto one of the armchairs.

"Hi. Cheers!" I held my can up in a toast. He did the same with his chocolate.

"Hello. Y/N, is it?"

"Yeah. Sorry, I forget your name?"

"Just call me Mello."

"Ok. And are you?"

"Am I what?"

"Are you mellow?" I asked, smiling.

He rolled his eyes.

"What about you? Are you in love with Matty boy?"

"Nah. He's more interested in his computer games than actually talking to me."

"Tell me about it."

"Yeah. It's more entertaining watching you slam around the place."

"Oh, so you come here to watch me?" He grinned.

"No, oh my god. Why aren't you asleep anyway?"

"I was, but you two woke me up with your screaming. Were you arguing?"

"Oh, um, not exactly," I answered, embarrassed.

He laughed. "I'm just joking with you, don't worry. I know what you were doing. Oh, it would be polite to offer you some chocolate."

"Yes it would," I agreed.

He sighed. "I don't normally share. I'm not getting up either, you'll have to come over here."

I moved over to sit beside him on the sofa. I expected him to break some chocolate off the bar, but he held it up and put it into my mouth. I bit some off and he watched while I ate it.

"Mmm, it's delicious."

"I know right?" He took a bite and then held it up for me to take another bite.

"Matt always has girlfriends but he's an asshole so he pretty much ignores them all," Mello commented.

"Do you have girlfriends? Or boyfriends, or whatever?" I asked.

"I've slept with a few guys but no one special. I think you deserve better though. If you were mine I'd spoil you, bring you out on proper dates and pay you lots of attention."

"Yeah, but aren't you gay?"

"Says who?"

"You just said about guys..."

"Doesn't mean I don't like girls too."

"That's true. I dated a girl once actually. But she loved someone else. I wish she could have loved me as much but she didn't."

"What was her name?"

"Misa."

"Where is she now?"

"She's dead now. She killed herself over that guy."

"Oh

"Oh."

There was an awkward silence.

"I blew myself up once."

"What?"

"I'm just trying to break the tension. Though it's actually true. That's how I got this," He pointed to the left side of his face which was scarred.

"Um, ok."

He looked at his watch. "Hey, it's morning already. Wanna go get some breakfast? My treat."