Burn Baby Burn

I was friends with Matt through game shops and conventions, I went for the anime and manga while he was a big gamer. I'd met his friend Mello a bunch of times too, sometimes at their apartment or when Matt dragged him to game shops. We hadn't spoken much, he wasn't the friendliest of people.

Matt called me in a panic one night asking for my help. I didn't live too far away so I rushed straight over to his place. He'd asked me to bring any first aid stuff I had, though hadn't explained the emergency.

I arrived to find Mello lying unconscious on the couch, covered in blood. I didn't ask any questions, just got to work cleaning him up and bandaging him.

"Thank God you came. I can't bring him to the hospital but you seem to know what you're doing. I didn't know who else I could call and I knew I could trust you to keep quiet. He caused some trouble and..."

"Of course. I won't tell a soul. I'm not an expert but I'll do my best for him."

"You must have done first aid though?"

I looked up at him from where I knelt on the floor beside Mello.

"No, I used to self harm, that's why I learned this."

"Oh...I'm sorry."

"It's ok. I think he'll be ok for now but I can stay a while."

"Thanks so much. It's good of you, especially when you hate him."

"Whoa, what?! What makes you think that?"

"You're always glaring at him like you're about to kill him."

I laughed. "You got it wrong, Matt. If I glare at him it's because I want him so bad. More like I'm trying not to jump him."

Matt stared at me, shocked.

"Seriously? Why didn't you tell him?"

"Because it's Mello, he hates everyone. He'd probably just be annoyed that Iike him and see me as a pesty fangirl thing. Anyway, that doesn't matter right now, we just need to take care of him. And I don't mean by killing him."

"God, I'd no idea." Matt replied.

I turned back to Mello and his eyes were open and looking at me.

"Mello, how do you feel?" I asked, ignoring that he now knew about my crush on him. He would have to wake up right now, jeez.

"I'm ok." He whispered, staring at me.

"Are you hungry or thirsty?"

"Chocolate." I nodded at Matt who went to get him some chocolate. I should have known that's what he'd ask for.

"Are my lips burned?" Of all things to ask.

"No, they're fine." I fought the urge to trace my finger along them, or along his perfect jawline.

"No one has ever liked me."

"Oh, well I do." No point denying it now.

"I want to kiss you." He tried to sit up but I gently stopped him.

"This isn't the time to be kissing anyone. You must be in shock after the accident, and your health is more important anyway."

As much as I'd been dying to kiss him for ages, it wasn't my priority right then. I didn't know what had happened but if he'd died...I shivered and shook the thought away.

"I'm so glad you're still here." I told him and he smiled. Matt arrived back with the chocolate just then.

"Mello, you're smiling. Hope I'm not interrupting anything. You hid that chocolate well." He handed the chocolate over.

"Of course, I'm not having you steal it, you greedy fuck."

"Well you're still yourself anyway." Matt laughed a little, relieved.

I came over a lot in the next few days to help. Both with Mello's care and with practical help as he could hardly move. He was burned down the left side of his face, neck, shoulder and side. He'd be left with some bad scarring but at least he'd survived.

He tried to kiss me a few more times but I said no. I was pretty sure he was still in shock and/or just grateful I'd helped him. I was really only concerned with helping him get better, anything else could wait if it was meant to happen.

He sat me down one night and thanked me for everything. I hugged him and told him again that I was just glad he was alive.

"I'd really like to take you out, to thank you and also just because I want to, but I can't really go out yet. I'm still in trouble and with my face, you know. But maybe I could make you dinner here or something?"

"That would be lovely. As long as you can cook without burning yourself."

He laughed. "Oh my God. Maybe I'll just order us pizza."

"That might be a better idea."

We smiled at each other, then he leaned in and kissed me.

"It will be a date, if you want?" He asked.

"I want." I smiled as he kissed me again.