Sweet Mello (One Shot)

Matt and Mello were room mates and best friends in Wammy's House. It was an orphanage but also an institute for gifted children. Matt was Mello's only friend. Everyone liked Matt because he was so easy going and a bit of a joker (when he wasn't playing video games) but Mello was a loose cannon who the other students tended to avoid. As a result, Matt had to hang out with Mello alone. He didn't mind as he hung out with other kids when Mello was studying. He sometimes wondered if it bothered Mello having no other friends, but Mello never spoke about it so he felt it best not to ask.

Lately though, one of the girls had taken to hanging around with them. At first she had just hung out by herself near them, until Matt, being the friendly guy he was, invited her to join them. He'd hung out with her in groups sometimes before, she was a nice girl and it was fun to have someone else join himself and Mello.

Y/N was in their room now, Matt had tried to show them his new game but they were too busy discussing a book series, so he left them to it and just played his game. He noticed they'd gone quiet and assumed they were both reading.

He looked up and he was half right, Mello was reading while Y/N had fallen asleep. He went back to his game, he was racing a red lotus car against a yellow lotus.

"You bastard!" He shouted, after crashing into a wall.

"Matt, will you keep it down, Y/N is sleeping," Mello scowled at him and Matt hid a smile at seeing his friend show concern for her.

He continued with his game more quietly, concentrating hard on not crashing again.

"I will defeat you, yellow lotus, I am justice!" He yelled. "Oh shit, sorry, I forgot to keep the noise down."

"You forgot since two minutes ago?"

"Yeah."

Mello shook his head. "It's ok but Matt? She keeps saying my name. Why is she saying my name in her sleep?"

Matt put his game controller down. "Oh, is she?"

"Why are you smiling so big? Don't you think it's weird?" Mello looked truly perplexed.

"No, Mello, I don't think it's weird. I think she likes you."

"What? But she's a girl!"

Matt laughed. "So? Girls can like boys, you know."

"But she's pretty!" Mello blurted, then turned bright red.

"Ahhh, Mello has a crush!" He said in a sing song voice.

"Be quiet, Matt!"

Mello hid his hands in his face. Matt grinned and picked his controller back up. Mello looked out from behind his hands.

"Do you really think she likes me?" He asked.

"You told me to be quiet."

"Just answer or I'll kick you!"

Matt rolled his eyes.

"You're asking the bloody obvious here. She only wants to hang out if you're there, she only comes to our room when you're here, or at least she only stays when you're here. I should feel hurt."

He placed a hand over his heart dramatically, making Mello laugh.

"Yes, Mello, I think she really likes you," He said seriously.

"What should I do?"

"Well, what do you want to do?"

Mello shrugged.

"Well, do you like her? Do you want to date her?"

"We're only twelve and we're stuck in this place. I can't exactly bring her to The Ritz for dinner."

"Well, I wasn't suggesting that, you overdramatic piece of shit," Matt laughed his head off. "You could go to the library, just the two of you. No one goes there in the evening. Bring some of your chocolate and share it with her. Talk about your books. She'll love it."

Mello bit his lip. "I can't, I'm scared," He whined.

"Then I'll ask her to go on a date with me. I'm not scared."

Mello's eyes widened. "Don't you dare!"

"Then you'd better wake her up and ask her."

"She'll kill me if I wake her up."

"No she won't. Have you listened to a word I just said? She'll be delighted. Now I'm going somewhere else for a minute. Ask her while I'm gone or, I don't know. Just ask her."

Matt left the room whistling to himself. He'd had no intentions of asking Y/N out, as nice as she was, he knew she and Mello liked each other. He'd just said that to push his romantically challenged idiot of a best friend.

Mello took a deep breath and shook Y/N's shoulder gently. She didn't wake until he called her name, then she opened her eyes with a smile.

"Hey, Mello," She greeted him sleepily.

"Hi, Y/N. Do you wanna go the library with me?" He asked quickly.

"Sure. Why don't we go now?"

"Ok." Mello told himself. "I can mention the date part later. Just stay calm."

They walked to the library and looked through some of the bookshelves. They picked out two books to look at together and sat down.

"I like this. Being together," Mello said.

She smiled at him and he got nervous again.

"Chocolate! I mean, would you like some chocolate?"

"Yes, thank you, Mello."

They shared the chocolate and it went silent again as Y/N looked through one of the books.

"Shit, I should say something. It's not a date if we sit in silence. I still have have to tell her it's a date, help!"

"Mello, are you ok? You seem a bit panicked."

She placed her hand on his in concern and he almost passed out.

"I'm scared! Not of you, what I mean is, I have nightmares all the time."

This was true though he was just saying it to say something right now.

"Do you want to tell me about them?"

"I've never told anyone. But I have the same two recurring nightmares. In one I'm walking home from school but I get lost. I can't find my house, even if I look for hours. In the other I'm in this big house and all the furniture, carpets and stairs are moving. Like a fun house, but it's scary. Do you think it means something? I don't have a house or a school in real life, I just have here. So I don't know what to think of it."

"Maybe it just means you're scared of feeling lost in the world. Or of the world around you being chaotic."

He nodded. "Yeah that makes sense."

"So maybe you just need to find something to help you feel stable. So you don't have to be alone," She suggested quietly.

"But that's family and I don't have a family."

"It's not always family. It can be friends. Or a special friend," She blushed.

"Like a girlfriend?"

"Maybe."

Mello smiled and held his hand out.

"Then would you like to be mine?"

She took his hand, smiling back.

"I thought you'd never ask."

"I'm asking now. Also I'm going to be brave and kiss you now, if that's ok."

"It's more than ok. I like you, Mello."

"Good. I like you too."