Mello...Come Back

Every year on Kiyomo Takada (Kira's spokesperson) death anniversary, there was media coverage, and mountains of gifts left outside the church she'd burnt to death inside.

No one knew exactly why the church had gone ablaze that day. I had my suspicions though I'd never tell a soul.

The man who been shot down in her kidnapping was never identified, though I knew it was my best friend Matt.

Takada's body was never found inside the church, and neither was Mello's. By the time Takada's death was discovered, no one cared about Mello anymore.

No one except me. Mello was the love of my life, and I'd let him plan and execute a death mission. Of course I didn't expect he'd actually die. He told me over and over that he wouldn't fail, that his plan would solve the Kira case.

I knew how much it meant to him so I didn't question him. I'd have done anything to make him happy if I could have, but as much as he loved me, he needed to do this, maybe it meant more to him I ever did, I don't know.

But it killed him and now he's gone. Could I have stopped him? I don't know and I never will.

All I know is I'm alone now, so alone. Every year I'm reminded everywhere of his anniversary, indirectly. Every year I go the church my love died in, after all the worshippers have gone.

In amongst all the flowers and gifts from strangers, I leave a token of respect for the man who will always own my heart.

A bar of chocolate.

I walk home, crying all the way. Then I lay in our bed (only mine now)

"Mello, come back, please, I need you."

I cry my heart out, as I've done every day and night since he left.

And it never makes any difference. He's gone forever, and no amount of tears can bring ever him back.