iDefine Love by xxkissfromarosex

FanFiction.net

iDefine Love by xkissfromarosex

TV » iCarly
Rated: T
Language: English
Genre: Romance & Humor
Characters: Sam P., Freddie B.
Words:
Published on FanFiction: Jan 10, 2010
Updated: Apr 3, 2010

***
Chapter 1: Spencer

Despite his sometimes stupid predicaments and his outlandish imagination, Spencer was actually pretty good at observing people. It had come from years of sculpting; seeing things from a different point of view to everyone else and managing to take something wonderful from it. He prided himself on being able to see what wasn't always there. It wasn't a skill you could just learn; Spencer had been born with it. That's what made him so artistic, so creative. He could tell how people felt towards each other within seconds of meeting them.

And Sam and Freddie were no different.

He'd known Freddie as the boy across the hall with an obsession for Carly for many years. It had been cute, the way he'd bring her roses every Monday, just to cheer her up, or he'd make a mix tape of songs that reminded him of her. Carly insisted that she found the attention from him a little unnerving, but secretly, Spencer reckoned she enjoyed it.

And Sam Puckett? Well, she'd entered the Shay apartment in a whirl of energy and ham. Spencer liked her a lot; she understood his way of thinking more than Carly did sometimes, and he was glad that his little sister had found someone to rely on. Even if this said someone could be a little destructive.

Spencer liked to watch the trio interact. He was often amused by their antics on iCarly, but often their banter was much funnier off-screen.

He studied the dynamic carefully; deciding their friendship was like a tasty banana split. The show, iCarly, was the banana split into two, on each side of them, sandwiching them together. Carly was the sweet strawberry ice-cream in the middle, separating her bickering friends. Sam was the chocolate ice-cream, sometimes bitter but surprisingly pleasant when you got used to her. Freddie was the scoop of vanilla, plain on the first taste, but layered when you thought about it. Sure, a strawberry was coloured like a strawberry fruit, and chocolate was coloured like a coco bean, but vanilla was unpredictable. A vanilla bean was not cream. And that's why Freddie was like vanilla. There was more to him than met the eye.

Spencer liked to think he was the cherry on top, sealing off the delicious treat, but he put this down to his idealism.

Sam seemed to rip into Freddie in the early days, but he almost always asked for it. He'd send cheeky glances her way, inviting her to retort a snide remark. It was just the way they worked. Spencer examined their bickering about his nubness or her excessive fury with a smile on his face.

It certainly wasn't first grade anymore, but the old playground logic still worked. If a girl constantly rips on a guy, it means she has a crush on him.

Sam liked Freddie. Who liked Carly.

Spencer hoped the banana split would stay in-tact after her realised this, because he liked it the way it was.

Luckily, it stayed undamaged. Maybe this was because Sam was in denial, or because Carly didn't return Freddie's advances, but they managed to stay whole.

But something did change. It changed right as the trio entered their Sophomore year at high school. Carly was still not interested in Freddie; and Sam was telling herself that neither was she. Spencer remembered them being squished on the Shay couch, watching some lame made-for-tv movie. Spencer was perched on the end, his sister beside him. Sam was on the other side of Carly, hogging the popcorn (as always) and Freddie was next to her.

They'd been watching for an hour or so, when Spencer began to get agitated. The movie was dull and he had zoned out at the beginning, completely missing the plot introduction. He couldn't stay still for very long, and he began to tap his feet on the floor. Carly shot him warning looks, which he ignored.

"Cut it out!" She whispered. Spencer scowled, his lower lip jutting out petulantly as his foot froze. He could hear Sam gulping down her Peppy Cola, which reminded his stomach that it could use something to eat. He jumped up and strolled to the fridge.

"Hey, Spence, could you get me something to eat?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, what d'ya want?"

"I dunno, anything. I'm not fussed."

"You just ate a whole bowl of popcorn by yourself! I can't believe you'd still be hungry," Freddie picked up the empty bowl and wafted it under her nose. Sam jerked the bowl away from his grasp and set it down on the coffee table.

"Yeah well, believe it," She mumbled, but Spencer could see that she had a sly smile on her face. He settled back down in his seat, keeping an eye on the blonde in his peripheral vision. There was something different about the atmosphere that night; and Spencer couldn't figure it out.

Then, a few weeks later, he walked into the apartment to find the two of them sprawled along the couch, absorbed in each other. Sam was splayed along the length the couch, whilst Freddie sat on the edge, his arms lying on her legs like it was the most natural thing in the world. Spencer cleared his throat to announce his arrival, and their expressions told him all he needed to know.

They'd been caught.

Freddie's arms dropped from her legs immediately, pushing them off his lap. Spencer had asked them where Carly was, and they'd told him she was in the shower. They didn't look at him, keeping their eyes on the colourful rug beneath their feet.

After that, he noticed that they stayed apart whenever he was in the room, not even allowing their gazes to meet. He didn't think Carly detected this, or maybe she did. He didn't know if he should say anything to her. He knew that Carly enjoyed being Freddie's imaginary girlfriend, so who would she feel if she found out about the relationship that Sam and Freddie may-or-may-not-have?

That banana split popped up in his mind again. When the banana split began to thaw out, and the ice cream flavors started to melt together, he knew that anything could happen.

Maybe vanilla and chocolate could be wonderful too, he decided, if they were given the chance to try.