Somehow by Lime.Orange

FanFiction.net

Somehow by Lime.Orange

TV » iCarly
Rated: K+
Language: English
Genre: Romance
Characters: Freddie B., Sam P.,
Words: 1,800
Published on FanFiction: Dec 25, 2009

***

I can clearly remember our conversation last Christmas.

He and I were lounging on Carly's couch. Carly was in the shower, getting ready to head out with us to go sledding. My legs were propped up on the couch, my feet on Freddie's lap. He looks slightly uncomfortable, but doesn't complain.

I sigh. There's nothing on but Christmas movies.. though it's expected, since it's Christmas day.

Out of nowhere, he pipes up. "You know what, Sam? Next Christmas, I'm going to do it."

"Do what?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. "Get a haircut? Fix your face? Get cosmetic surgery-"

He frowns. "Sam." but the frown disappears as quickly as it appeared. "By next Christmas, I'm going to make her fall in love with me."

"Her?"

"The girl I love." he answers simply, his big brown eyes fixed on the television screen.

I burst into laughter, though it's forced and sounds unnatural because I don't want to cry in front of him.

"Wown, and how are you going to do this exactly? Magic?" I mock sarcastically, watching him carefully.

"I don't know." he pauses. "But I will. Somehow."

I sigh. "Freddork, I'm going to tell you this now." I look at him seriously. "Nothing on this planet will ever make Carly love you. Ever."

He doesn't look any less determined, and it infuriates me. "Somehow."

I scowl and turn back to face the television, and I can't help but think how lucky Carly is.

And somehow, that scowl is still on my face, exactly one year later.

Everything feels the same. We're lying on the couch together, staring at the boring Christmas movie playing on television. Carly's in the shower again, but we're going to go to Groovy Smoothies instead.

Today feels like my death.

Today, he's going to somehow make Carly fall in love with him. I'm scared it might work.

And today, he's going to break my heart.

No more longing looks. No more teasing. No more flirting. No more us.

And I can imagine it. He'll walk into the room with a dozen roses and sweep Carly right off her feet. Then she'll realize how lucky she is, knowing that he loves her - just like my dreams, but the only difference is that he loves her, and not me.

I'd become the third wheel.

Pushed aside like an old toy.

Ignored. Lonely. Unloved.

I squeeze my eyes shut. I don't want this to happen.

"Sam?" he notices my discomfort. I open my eyes again.

"What, Freddork?"

"I dunno, you looked kind.. kind of.." He sighs. "Never mind." He turns to face the television screen again.

And I don't understand why he does that, like he has the courage to say something, only to back out in the end. It keeps my hopes up, but every time he gives up, my hopes sink a little harder than the last time.