Pining by harley.doll

FanFiction.net

Pining by harley.doll

TV » iCarly
Rated: T
Language: English
Genre: Romance & Hurt/Comfort
Characters: Sam P., Freddie B.
Words: 2,056
Published: May 29, 2011

***
[ focuses on the trio's dynamic ]

{Freddie hearts Carly}

"Because I love her!"

And he means it, even though he's only thirteen he's not exaggerating when he says he's in love with Carly. It's that lovely and dangerous, all-consuming love. Lovely if the object of your affection returns the sentiment and you can ride off into the sunset towards your happily ever after. Dangerous if they, like Carly, deny your advances at every turn and gush about who their own candles burn for in front of you, as if exposure to such pain will snap you out of your feelings. (It doesn't.)

He still longs for her, waits for the day when she'll turn to him and say "It was you all along Freddie" and he won't have the ring ready (because he's determined to never become that desperate) but sooner than later they'll take their vows in a private ceremony in front of his mother, Spencer and Sam (who by then will be on proper medication or maybe just less Sam-like) and they'll spend the rest of their lives together and never will he bring up to her that he was right all along.

On days when she's even blinder than usual, he almost welcomes Sam's behavior. It's a constant in his ever-changing world. He'll be invisible Tuesday when Carly will announce her love for (insert latest crush's name here) from the fifth floor or school or across the street from the Groovy Smoothie and Wednesday they'll actually have a conversation and she'll plan their wedding instead of the next show. But by next Friday she'll be crying in the studio and he'll be the one explaining to her that she just needs to find a boy who deserves her and it's only then that she smothers him with compliments and says that she has no idea what she'd do without him and that hope starts to build up again....

And then Monday they start all over.

But he can count on Sam to always be vicious. Monday she gives him a wedgie and Tuesday she dumps her half-eaten mashed potatoes in his bookbag because Carly saw something green in them and Wednesday she calls him a nub and shoves him into a locker and Thursday they tease Carly's new love together because Carly thinks he's perfect but really he's been in his "awkward phase" for about fifteen years and Friday they'll comfort her together and once she can handle laughing Sam will insult Freddie because that's what she does. That's how it's supposed to be.

It's another Thursday and Carly is texting Ted from 6C and Sam is laughing because Ted is sort of jumpy (or as Sam calls him "an absolute puss") and he nearly cried when Carly put her hands over his eyes and asked him to guess who. Freddie laughs along with her until Sam abruptly tells him that Ted may be a pansy but he's way better than a germophobic mama's boy. They begin to argue and Freddie bites back a sigh of relief because he can't hear the clicking of Carly's phone over Sam's yelling which means he can't hear his chances with Carly dying all over again. He says he hates her, but honestly he's grateful for Sam and the fact that he'll never go through any of this with her.

{Sam hearts Freddie}

He cannot possibly be this stupid. He'd said it himself: "When a girl rags on a guy it means she likes him." And sure, she'd played it off well but seriously? She's starting to trip over all of the hints she drops to him. How many times does she have to say "Carly will never love you" before he finally accepts it and opens his eyes to the other options around him?

Or, more specifically, right in front of him.

Sam is so not a sappy chick. She doesn't romance anything but food and her idea of flirting is not snapping a guy's bone when she fights him. Sometimes she envies Carly's embodiment of girly essence. Boys always know when Carly likes them and nine times out of ten, they like her first. Guys think Sam's cute until they get to know her; she can't count how many times an initially interested guy has tucked tail and run because he found out she's a better wrestler, a harder hitter and a bigger eater than he is. And of course Carly's always there for her when it all falls apart, telling her that she just needs someone who knows her (even though they both know that Sam typically doesn't just give those chances away) and that the right person will show up. They joke that they need the male version of Carly and everyone laughs about it but deep down Sam knows that she's already found that person. He's just so wrapped up in his female doppelganger that Sam's barely even a blip on his radar.