To be alive - Part 2

The twins found themselves in the shrine once again . It was the only place that seemed free of all the chaos happening in the city , there were no patients suffering from Apathy syndrome , no cultists telling people to accept their miserable end , no posters and graffitis . It was the only place where the twins could sit , close their eyes , and pretend that the world was completely fine . The two of them sat on one of the wooden seats by the playground in front of the shrine , their hands clasped together and their eyes staring at the moonless sky . They were halfway through what little time they had left . Only fifteen days remained . Even the quiet shrine couldn't hide the truth from them , the truth that their time was running out , and they were still too hesitant to sacrifice themselves , too scared to even talk about it .

" oh ... you're here ... "

A familiar voice called them , it was Akinari , the man they had met in the shrine nearly two weeks ago . Minako eagerly welcomed him , while Minato passively allowed him to sit . The pale man had a notebook and an old fountain pen in his hand . Apparently , he had been coming to the shrine regularly to write a story , just as the twins had suggested . In fact , he sat down next to them and began writing , and while Minako was curious to see what he was writing , Minato nudged her to remind her that he may not want to yet .

" hey ... I have a question ... " the Akinari stopped writing " how do you feel ... about a pink alligator ... ? "

" a ... a pink ... pfft—! " Minako nearly exploded in laughter

" I see ... so it was a bad idea after all ... "

" what ?! No ! I didn't think it was a part of your story ! " Minako exclaimed , but as she sensed Minato behind her quietly facepalming , she nervously stammered " I was just taken aback by the idea of a pink alligator , that's all ! If it's used well in the story , I'm sure even a pink alligator ... no ... especially the pink alligator would be great ! "

" so what's the story ? " Minato changed the subject

" well ... if the absurdity if the image is what surprised you , then I think I'm on the right track " Akinari said " it's about a pink alligator who can't hide herself to hunt for preys , so she is shunned by her kin and ridiculed by her preys . One day , she befriends a bird who can't fly , so he uses her body as place to jump from and attempt flying "

" and what happens next ?! " Minako eagerly asked

" I ... I don't know ... I don't want to think of the ending " Akinari looked at the horizon with thoughtful eyes " I wanted to write an upbeat story to cheer me up ... and maybe help me find the meaning of life . Maybe when I find the answer to that question ... cough ! ... I'll put it in the end ... cough ! Cough ! Cough ! "

Akinari's condition worsened , and he started coughing violently . The twins were anxious for his sake , as Minato placed his hand on his shoulder and told him to breath slowly , before turning to his sister and yelling at her to call an ambulance .

" whenever I write ... cough ! .... My story ... I can see you ... in my mind ... " Akinari smiled weakly " it's like ... like ... you're telling me ... not to ... give up just ... just yet ... "

" yeah ?! Well , I'm telling you straight to your face that you mustn't give up ! " Minato yelled at him " who's going to give that pink alligator the happy ending she deserves ?! Who's gonna help her discover the meaning of life ?! "

" yeah ... you're right ... " Akinari muttered , before he lost consciousness

" what ... Akinari ! Answer me !!! "

 Akinari ! Answer me !!! "