To be alive - Part 1

Start from the beginning

" well ... me and my mother haven't been getting along well ... but she called me yesterday ... " Yukari said with a troubled look on her face " I always thought she was a faithless woman who pretended my father didn't exist when everyone turned against us , after he was blamed for the incident that started the Dark Hour . You know , when she called me , she sounded very worried "

" she was worried about you ? "

" yes ... she told me to lock the door to my room at night , and stay away from anyone who seems dazed or pale . I think she's been watching the news , and she could see how it's been recently " Yukari sighed " I didn't know what to say ... I could just tell her that I'm fine ... but I think I want to talk to her more ... maybe we could talk about my father , I never understood why she tried to forget him ... maybe if we do that , we can be family again ... "

" of course , that would be great "

" but I haven't talked to her in a long time ! I was always hostile towards her " Yukari nervously replied " what if she didn't hate my father ?! It's so unfair , why am I learning about this now when we have less than three weeks to live before Nyx descends into our world ?! "

" I know how you feel " Fuuka replied " I've actually talked with my parents a few times , they were pressuring me to come back to their house , but I can't leave the dorm , not now "

" Fuuka ... "

" but you shouldn't let that bring you down , instead use it as a source of strength to drive you forward " Fuuka said firmly " I'll be honest with you , I sometimes think we made the wrong choice , but seeing my parents worry about me this much , even though they were strict with me and harshly judged my grades , it makes me so happy to see them care about me at this time , and strengthens my resolve ! When I'm reminded that this isn't just my fight , I realize that we didn't make the wrong choice after all ! "

" Fuuka , thank you ... " Yukari hesitantly said " but can you be with me when I visit my mother ? I feel it'll be a little less awkward for me ... "

" of course , I would love to ... "

——————————————

Mitsuru was calmly studying in her room , when she heard the door knocking . As she gave the permission to enter , she was surprised to see none other than Junpei at the door . He seemed to bear a depressed expression on his face , that he uselessly tried to hide it with his cap . He seemed to want to talk , so Mitsuru invited him to sit . She was expecting him to comment on how her room was luxurious , or at least act nervous in fear of her anger , but he seemed troubled by something else .

" senpai ... I don't mean to remind you of this ... but what kind of presents did you use to give your father ? "

" oh ... well , I once bought him a watch from Patek Philippe for his birthday , for around 10 million dollars... ah ... " Mitsuru realized that Junpei was thinking of something else " but if you want to give a present to your father , I suppose something affordable would be suitable , wouldn't it ? Is this why you look troubled ? "

" hehe ... I don't even know when my father's birthday is ... " Junpei laughed wryly " The hospital called ... he was brought to the emergency room after he nearly died of overdose ... "

" what ?! "

" I went to visit him ... and all he could talk about was how the Apathy syndrome ... and how he wanted me to transfer to Tokyo ... of course , I told him I'm managing here just fine . I still can't forgive him for all that he did to me , but seeing that old idiot worry about me so much now ... I wanted to thank him for at least remembering I was around during all of this , and you're the closest person I got to ask ... "