Fleeting happiness

Start from the beginning

" oh , this is for Shin-chan " Minako smiled sweetly " I'm still new at this , so it came out a little long and uneven , but I still think the two of us can share it "

" oh , Minako-san , about our—! " Ken started

" so you're going to visit him right now ? " Akihiko intervened , while giving Ken a meaningful look that they shouldn't tell her yet , not when her mind's occupied

" yup ! I'll probably be back by noon " Minako said as she walked toward the exit " see you later ! "

—————————————

Minako arrived at the hospital, and was met with a hectic sight . Ambulances were storming out of it alarming quantity , and inside doctors and nurses were rushing around the corridors hastily , sometimes pushing her aside to move . The whole atmosphere stirred Minako's heart and made her feel nervous . She held her gift close to her heart , as she hurried toward Shinjiro's room .

While she was trying to force her way through the chaos , she learned from the gossipers and bystanders that many hospitals were becoming more and more flooded with patients with Apathy syndrome , most of which were restrained because they were becoming aggressive at night . Those patients who weren't suffering from Apathy syndrome were victims of those who were during their rampage , from drivers who skidded into a wall to avoid someone standing motionlessly in the middle of the street , to people who were minding their own business only for an aggressive patient to attack them and cause them fatal injuries. The mere snippets of these stories was enough to Minako's heart to slump down , and she found herself standing in front of Shinjiro's room wondering what face she should show to him , even though she knew he was unconscious and wouldn't see her face .

" you're visiting the patient Shinjiro Aragaki , aren't you? " a worker asked " Yuzuru-san will be here soon ... "

" y—yes ! "

Minako took a deep breath , and put on her best smile , as she entered the door . However , when she entered the room , she screamed loudly in shock and fear ...

Shinjiro's bed was empty ...

Minako stood before the opened door , her shaking leg barely supporting her , as her mind stammered through what the disappearance of Shinjiro meant . The room was tidy and clean , as if it was never used . Minako found herself checking the number of the room over and over again , but it was definitely Shinjiro's . Just as she was panicking , though , the sound of the nurse responsible for Shinjiro's condition reached her ears from the chaos that was around her room .

" ... she's been visiting you every day ! Just wait until I call her and have her talk to you ... oh ! Minako's here ?! "

Minako's eyes darted to the source of the voice , and she found the nurse standing at the end of the crowded corridor and behind her stood Shinjiro . He seemed tired , but he was still smiling . Minako couldn't believe her eyes , in the middle of a hospital that was filled with dying patients and crying families , she had somehow managed to find life . Her lips trembled , and her lungs jolted , as tears came gushing from her eyes as if they were erupting . She ran toward Shinjiro , arms widely folded , before she jumped into his embrace .

" Shinjiro ! Shinjiro ! Shinjiro ! " she wept , as words came out of her mouth erratically , as if one word was racing the other to her throat , as if she was actually interrupting herself " you're alive ! I ... I was so .. so ... so worried ... I thought you ... and I was ... but then ... and he didn't ... and I was ... !!! "