Chapter 66: The Duet That Brought Everyone Together.

Start from the beginning

I tuned the acoustic guitar that'd I'd swapped when Danny came back on stage, and hung it around my neck. Here goes nothing... I took a deep breath and spoke clearly into the mic. "This is a new song called, If These Sheets Were The States and its dedicated to someone special here tonight.. My girlfriend that I've missed so much, Cameo." I pointed at her and she grinned.

I started playing, and remembered she sang with me back home. This could make everything right. I thought, and stopped strumming. "One more thing, I almost forgot. She's going to song with me." I grinned cheekily, warming up to the idea more and more in my head, and in the back Cameo was shaking hers.

"Nope." She mouthed, and Hannah was trying to encourage her too.

"Oh yes you are." I chuckled and waved her over, and the crowd parts little ways for he to get through. Hannah pushed her, and kept going until Cameo finally gave in and was walking up with her head down in fear.

Danny came out with another mic, a loose hand one, and with the string hands of Security, she was hauled up onstage and was standing in front of me, a bashful smile on her freckled face.

"Ready?" I asked a little more serious now, my mouth away from the mic. She gulped and took a full breath as she nodded.

"I just hope I don't throw up." She whispered back.

"If so, so it's on Hannah." I joked and she giggled and held the mic to her chest as I redirected my attention to the crowd again. "So this song, it's one I had some time on my hands to work on, and it kind of just, came to me you could say." I felt myself get tense and when I looked back to steal a glance at Cameo, I could hear the own seriousness in my voice. "Tonight, this song is for anyone who's ever felt lost without their significant other, or who's missed them and felt hopeless without them." I swallowed the lump in my throat that I'd get when Id start crying. "But, this song is, tonight, for me, special because this girl is one that marriage has crossed my mind with, and that hasn't happened for me in a long time." I nodded to the fans around the room that thrusted their arms up and made hearts with their hands. "So here goes nothing." I sighed loudly into the mic and started strumming on the guitar.

"I'm lost in empty pillow talk again
I'm lost in empty pillow talk again

This bed's an island made of feather down, and I'm stuck here alone
With little else but memories of you, on memory foam

Visions of a brighter love, I'd kill for one more day
To pool my thoughts, and find the words to say..." I took a deep breath and looked from the crowd, glowing phones held high, over to Cameo who looked less scared but was smiling as she watched me sing.

"If these sheets were the states, and you were miles away,
I'd fold them end over end to bring you closer to me.
Because I don't sleep at all without you pressed up against me.
I settle for long distance calls, I'm lost in empty pillow talk again.

I'm lost in empty pillow talk again." I kept playing but took a step back from the mic as Cameo held her mic to her lips and watched me as she sang, her forehead creased with concentration.

......//.......//.........

*Cameo's POV*

My breathing was ragged and I had to shake out my fingertips as quickly as possible before my verse got to me. The memory of Alex and I, still across from each other, but in the living room, stayed steady in my mind.

Alex finished his verse and it took all of me not to run off stage and forget I was ever up here. My feet suddenly felt cemented in place and I stayed locked on Alex as I opened my mouth and started.

"This room's become a mausoleum, filled with relics of regret
Paying dues to every moment wasted, on words left unsaid
Collisions of a finer love, I'd kill for one more way
To tell you how you make me better every day." I felt a warming sensation in my tummy and my courage spiked my bloodstream as the chorus escaped my lips. I couldn't even believe I remembered my verse.

"If these sheets were the states, and you were miles away,
I'd fold them end over end to bring you closer to me.
Because I don't sleep at all without you pressed up against me.
I settle for long distance calls, I'm lost in empty pillow talk again."

I turned towards the crowd and made eye contact with Hannah, who was prancing on her toes and giving me two, giddy thumbs up from the middle of the crowd. I waved out to everyone who was intensely watching and they chorused back in screams.

Alex chuckled into his mic and caught my attention, making me smile wider and walk over to him, the cement feet nerves gone.

The last chorus we did together, like he'd written for it to be.

"If these sheets were the states, and you were miles away,
I'd fold them end over end to bring you closer to me.
Because I don't sleep at all without you pressed up against me.
I settle for long distance calls, I'm lost in empty pillow talk

I settle for long distance calls, I'm lost in empty pillow talk again.
I'm lost in empty pillow talk again."

The guitar stopped, our breathing conjoined in the mic's, and I could feel the sounds of the claps offstage vibrating inside me.

"Thank you everyone! You've been great tonight. Give a round for the lovely, and now nerveless, Cameo Gaskarth!" Alex was at ease, standing there on stage as if the gape of silence between us for those past days hadn't happened.

As the crowd clapped and whistled like animals, Alex dipped his blushing face back to the mic as I stared at him, open mouth and shocked at the confidence of his words. "Unofficially."