-41-

Over a week had passed since Dad had moved into his new flat. It was about twenty minutes from our house, so it would be easy to see each other. 

Dad was actually worried that he would be too close, but he had no idea how great it was to have him only a short drive away.

I was standing in the booth, annoyed at how little progress I was making towards my album. 

Liam and Harry were seated behind her, and she just about threw a fit when they showed up to hang out. 

Apparently she finds it rude to have random people just showing up when she's working. 

"Okay, Gracie. Let's see if we can get this song right this time" Naomi said in a nasty tone. 

I shook my head and got ready. 

Liam shook his head, while Harry shot me a reassuring smile.

Naomi sat back and looked at me, like she wasn't expecting much and that made me mad.

(Play video)

I tried to change
Tried everything
Like headlights in the rain
Drifting back again

Somewhere out there gathered in the dust
Sometimes I can't remember that was us

The stars divide
Our worlds collide
Surrounded like the air
You were with my everywhere

Somewhere out there lying in the dust
Sometimes I can't remember that was us

There was a time for reason
A place for every season
Times I couldn't run away from you
I can't believe it's mourning
I can't believe it's pouring
Should I leave you here and walk away?

I want to change
Try everything
I wanted you so bad
It nearly drove me mad

Somewhere out there gathered in the dust
Sometimes I can't remember that was us

Better now than never
Better late than forever
I never meant to waste your time
It doesn't seem to matter
Maybe nothing every really matters
Long enough to break it all away

Somewhere out there gathered in the dust
Sometimes I can't remember
I can't remember that was us

I came to a stop and Naomi stared at me as I walked out of the booth "What now?"

"I just thought there was supposed to be emotion in that song; I get that many pop albums have filler songs that hold absolutely no substance, but a song like that calls for emotion" she faced the soundboard "If you can't deliver, then maybe you shouldn't sing it"

Harry stood "Are you mad? If you can't feel the emotion that sounds like it's more your problem then hers" he shook his head "I guess people do need a heart to feel"

"I've got to agree with Harry; how do you not feel the emotion she is pouring into that song?" Liam asked. 

"Gracie needs some vocal work. Her voice is too shaky and she's not delivering notes that I am expecting of her, but maybe I should just lower my expectations" she shook her head.

I walked up to her "Maybe you should remove the giant stick up your ass"

She stood "I am here trying to improve what Darren obviously couldn't. He let you get away with too much, and now you're facing a hard reality since you're learning that you're not as good as you thought"

I ignored her and started gathering up my things. 

"What are you doing?"

"I'm leaving. I can't record that song again, because I don't have anything left to give" I looked at her "I'm exhausted and I can't deal with you anymore"

"I'll see you next week; I expect improvement"

I shook my head and left, with the guys following behind me.

Liam wrapped his arm around me "I didn't want to think she was as bad as you were describing her, but I don't understand why Simon thought she was good enough to finish your album"

We reached Harry's car and I realized that I had left my songbook in the recording booth "I'll be right back"

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, I can deal with it"

I went back inside, hearing one of my songs playing as I got closer to the room. It was the duet I had recorded with Darren.

"Why are you playing that?"

"I'm just making a list of the weaker songs that should be avoided for this album"

I grabbed my songbook "I don't give a damn what you think; that song is going on my album"

"You can't hold on to a song just because Darren was on it; it won't perform well"

"I don't care if it doesn't perform well!"

"We'll talk about next week"

I stormed out of the studio and went down the hallway to Darren's old office. Simon had left it untouched until I could go through it.

As I looked around, I saw a picture of us holding our awards together, from the Brit Awards. I put it in my bag and sat down at his desk, opening a drawer and finding his work laptop that he used to work on my songs. I quickly grabbed the charger and knew that if this bitch wasn't going to work with me then I'd deal with it myself.

I left the office, climbing into the car.

"Are you okay?" Liam asked, looking back at me.

"Ask me at the end of the day" I muttered.