-54-

"So Ed wants to get in the studio with you for your third album" Zayn said, as he worked on details for instrumentals "He was upset that he wasn't able to for this one, but he's really excited to work with you"

I smiled "I know it's really premature, but I think my third album will be better than the first two"

"We haven't even finished the second one" Harry chuckled.

"I know, I know, but there's this sound that I'm working with" I looked at Zayn "You heard a bit of it, and I think it's a great direction"

Zayn nodded "You should of heard it Harry, she's got soul in her bones"

"You definitely need to put in Don't You Dare" Harry said, commenting about the track list. 

There were twenty-seven songs that were recorded, and I needed to pick sixteen of them for the standard album and deluxe album. 

We had been in the studio for five hours, and it had already been two weeks since we started working together. 

"Why don't we write down our suggestions and go over it next time we're all together" Harry suggested.

I nodded "We could do that"

My phone started ringing.

"Is that lover body?" Harry asked.

I shook my head "No, it's my dad"

"Hey, dad; I'm in the studio, can I call you back?"

"Is this Gracie Dixon?" a woman asked.

I turned away "Yes, who is this?"

"This is a nurse from London Memorial Hospital, your father was brought in and you're his emergency contact"

"Is he okay?"

"He is in stable conditions, but his doctor would like you to come in as soon as possible to discuss it further with you"

"Yes, absolutely; I'm on my way"

Harry and Zayn both looked at me concerned. 

"Can I get a ride to London Memorial? My dad's in the hospital" I said, gathering up my things into my bag.

"I'll get ahold of Liam and tell him to meet us" Harry said, as the three of us walked out. 

---

After arriving at the hospital, I was told his room number and I found him in a hospital bed, while a nurse got some blood from him.

He groaned "I told them not to call you"

"What happened?"

"I fainted in a store" he said, shaking his head.

I sat down beside him, getting emotional.

"This is why I didn't want them calling you. I knew that they would sound so serious and I didn't want you expecting the worst" he squeezed my hand "I'm okay"

A doctor walked in and she smiled at me "Hi, I'm Dr. Ramirez"

"Hi"

"I didn't want anyone calling my daughter" my dad said.

I looked at her "Is my dad alright?"

"Those who were around him when it happened said that they were worried it was a seizure. When paramedics arrived, he was coming to, and was responding well"

"Why did he faint?"

"He recently started a new medication that could have caused it, but we want to run some tests, because his heart rate was 177 when the paramedics arrived"

I looked at my dad and he shook his head.

"You're going to be very sore for the next few days; when you fell you hit the ground very hard"

My dad nodded "I know, I can feel it in my knee"

"We want him to stay overnight so we can monitor his heart rate and blood pressure, since it keeps going up and down"

I nodded "He'll be okay though, right?"

"For the most part, yes; 

"Thank you for taking care of him" I said.

She nodded "I will be back later in the evening to check on him"

Liam walked into the room "Is everything okay?"

"Now I know they didn't call you"

"Harry called him" I said, walking over to him and hugging him "He's fine for the most part, but he's very annoyed by being here"

"I'm fine, Gracie" he looked at Liam "Liam, don't let her come up to the hospital again"

"Dad, stop"

"No, you walked in here breathing hard and your hands haven't stopped shaking. You're having anxiety problems just by being here"

"Dad"

He shook his head "She gets her stubbornness from me"

He was right though. Being in this hospital was making me react strongly. My body wasn't happy and mentally I could barely focus. 

I walked over to my dad and sat back down "Your blood pressure is a problem, we need to work on that"

He nodded "I'm old, what do you expect"

"Dad, you're in your forties" I shook my head "I want you here for as long as you can. You have to be around for things"

He frowned "It will be a long time before I am no longer in your life. I'm going to be here when you two finally decide to get married; I'll be here when I become a grandfather; I'll be here, Gracie"

I squeezed his hand.

"You're still shaking"

"I can't help it; I was so scared that something horrible had happened to you"

"Like what?"

"I was worried that you had a heart attack or a stroke" I paused "Or you were in an accident"

"Gracie, I get that recently your mind always goes to the worst, and I know that the nurse who called you should have told you that it wasn't an emergency; you can't be scared of everything"

"I know"

"I'm alive and I'm healthy, for the most part" he smiled "You have to stop expecting bad things to happen, because when the good things happen you won't be able to enjoy it as much as you would by just living"

"I'll work on it, dad"

He looked at Liam "Make sure she gets better"

"I will, Marcus"

My dad sighed "You think they'd let me have a beer? It's been one hell of a dad"

Liam and I laughed.

"Dad"

"What about some red meat?" 

I squeezed his hand "Maybe when you get out"

"See, now I have that to look forward to"

Liam put his hand on my back, and I smiled up at him. 

My dad had a point. I wanted all these good things to happen, but I was always expecting the worst for nearly every situation. It was healthy and it only made my anxiety worse. 

Things had to change.