-68-

As we left the club, I groaned as I saw a dozen photographers outside.

"What are they doing here?" I asked, frustrated.

"Relax, Gracie. Someone probably just tipped them off" Declan said.

I sighed and leaned against the wall. Paparazzi were out there yelling my name. If I went out there, I'd be called a party girl and if I went out with Declan, all hell would break loose.

"So what are we going to?" he asked.

It was almost two in the morning and I needed to get back to the hotel and get some sleep. I was already tipsy from drinking, and I didn't want to deal with any of this.

"Gracie" he asked, again.

I groaned "Let's just go out there and get it over with"

He nodded and put his arm around me to keep me from freaking out. He knew how I feel about being swarmed.

We walked out and I stayed close to Declan.

"Gracie! Where's Liam?" 

"Is this your new boyfriend?" 

"Are you and Liam officially broken up?" 

I hate paparazzi! Can't they just back the hell off and learn the word boundary? Just because someone is famous does not mean they like to be crowded and screamed at or have their picture taken.

"Gracie! Who is that with you?" 

Declan got us into the car and flipped them off, before getting in. 

"Fuck"

He looked at me "What?"

"They're going to follow us to the hotel"

"Is this common?"

"Unfortunately"

He sighed "Do you want me to stay with you for the night?"

"You'd do that?"

He nodded "You used to spend the night at my place all the time

Declan continued driving until he lost the ones following behind. We got to the hotel and he dropped me off at the front before going to park.

I stood in the lobby, wondering how they even knew that Liam wasn't with me. Maybe people were taking pictures of me at the club. 

The more I thought about everything the more emotional I could feel myself getting. 

"Dammit" I muttered, walking to the elevator and wiping my eyes. 

This was the first time I had been on my own and away from my life in London for quite some time. I was happy to be around Declan again, but I missed everyone. 

"You ready?" Declan asked, walking up to me.

We got in the elevator and he looked over at me.

"What, Declan?"

"You look like you've been crying"

I shook my head "Everything is just kinda hitting me"

He put his arm around me and kissed the top of my head "It's going to be okay"

"Declan, I don't know what I'm doing. Why am I even here? I should be back in London fighting for my relationship, since Liam isn't"

"This is why I've never been a fan of Liam. He builds you up, but with so little effort he slams you back down to the ground. I know things have changed, and he might have actually grown up since I last saw him, but here you are drunk and emotional" he gave me a smile "I see your pain in front of me, not his. Because of that, I am going to be there for you and do what you need. Fuck Liam. If he's not wanting to fix things then don't give him attention"

I cried against his chest.

"Everything will be okay" he reassured me.

I nodded, trying my best to believe him.

We arrived at my room and I threw myself onto the bed, screaming into the pillow.

The bed dipped down beside me and he opened his arms to me "Come on"

I put my head against his chest, feeling like I was seventeen again and experiencing a broken heart for the first time. 

"I'm sorry I let us drift apart" he whispered.

"We both let it happen"

He rubbed my back "I have an idea"

"What's that?"

"You should come stay at my flat until you need to go back to London. I don't like the idea of you staying in this hotel room all by yourself"

I smiled "I like that idea"

"We have some catching up to do, and you need to relax"

"I missed you, Declan"

"I missed you too, Gracie"

Even after all this time, it felt like we never drifted apart. Declan was a piece of me that I had missed, and he was exactly who I needed to be around to find myself again.

He sat up "What do you say we order some room service and find a terrible movie to watch"

"That sounds great" I smiled, going to the bathroom.

I stared in the mirror as I cleaned my face. I knew that I was under here somewhere and I just needed to give myself the chance to be found.

Times were changing and I could feel myself getting older. 

Is this what becoming an adult felt like?

I finished cleaning my face and walked out to see Declan "A lot can happen in eight months, don't you think"

He nodded "Yeah, but you just have to remember that good things can happen in that time"

"There's something changing in me, and I don't know if I'm ready for it all"

"You may not be ready, but it doesn't meant you don't need it" he said, patting my leg "You realize that you can't get out of my life now, right?"

I smiled "Good, because I'm seriously going to need you"

He hugged me "I'm here"