-97-

I was walking down the brick bridge and smiling at the view. 

Liam really picked out a spectacular venue, and the further I walked the more beautiful it got. 

I saw Liam's back to me and smiled, as I got closer.

The man that led me here, was the venue manager and would stand by as a witness to the ceremony.

I tapped Liam on the shoulder and he turned around, his mouth wide as he saw my appearance.

"Wow, so much for not getting emotional" he said, smiling softly. He kissed my cheek and pulled me close "Truly spectacular"

The man officiating the marriage handed me a bouquet of hydrangeas and peonies.

I looked at Liam "My favorite" 

"Of course"

"Are we ready to begin?" the man asked. He had a thick French accent, but spoke English well.

Liam and I both nodded.

We turned and faced the view, hand in hand, as the man cleared his name.

"There comes a time when a decision must be made. Ultimately, two people who love each other must ask themselves how much they hope for as their love grows and deepens, and how much risk they are willing to take." he smiled at us.

Liam mouthed "I love you"

"It is indeed a fearful gamble. Because it is the nature of love to create, a marriage is itself something which has to be created. To marry is the biggest risk in human relations that a person can take."

Liam squeezed my hand. 

"If we commit ourselves to one person for life this is not, as many people think, a rejection to freedom; rather it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom and the risk of love, which is permanent; into that love which is not possession but participation. It takes a lifetime to learn another person"

I smiled up at Liam, feeling myself getting rather emotional.

"When love is not possession, but participation, then it is part of that co-creation which is our human calling."

He smiled at us.

"Today your separate lives, with your own memories, hopes, temptations and trials are merged into one. Bring into this life, each for the sake of the other, the best you can be. Then the love you bear each other will be ever strengthened and enriched." He looked at us "Now is the time to say the vows that you have prepared for one another"

Liam smiled "I've wanted to fall in love ever since I can remember, even at 5 years old, I knew. I knew it was the best feeling in the world. But growing up I had a tendency to look too hard. My dad reminded me that you can't find love, love comes to you. I didn't believe him when he said that, how is love going to just come to me if I don't look for it. After many unsuccessful relationships I gave up looking. Then you came into my life. I didn't know at first you were going to mean so much because I didn't find you. You found me."

I smiled at him.

"It was so unexpected. That's what love is and will always be though, completely unexpected. That's what we are. I want our life together to be completely unexpected: the good, the bad, even the crazy. I'm so happy that you found me and that we get to share this amazing feeling together. Because I have never understood the phrase "I love you half-to-death." I will certainly love you all the way to the grave. And to stop would be the death of me."