-38-

After leaving the kitchen, I went into the bedroom and changed out of my clothes and into an oversized shirt and some pajama shorts. 

It was barely the afternoon and I was already regretting leaving the house. 

Why couldn't I have gotten a producer like Kurt? At least then it would feel like Darren was still around, since the two were such a great friends. 

There was seriously something wrong with Naomi. She was not going to make me doubt my singing and songwriting skills.

I heard a knock on the door and Louis walked in, smiling at me "Hey, love"

I smiled as he sat down beside me "Hey, Lou"

"Liam and Zayn are attempting to apply icing" he said, smirking.

I didn't even realize that I had spaced out for that long "That should be interesting"

"You alright?"

"It's just been a long day"

"New producer no good?" he asked.

I scoffed "She's definitely not Darren" I shook my head "She criticized me and made me feel like shit"

"Screw her then" he smiled "Don't let the bitchy producer get to you"

Krueger came running in and jumped on the bed. Louis attacked him with belly rubs, which he absolutely loved.

"I'm jealous of your dog; he's awesome"

I smiled "He is, isn't he?"

Liam and Zayn walked in carrying a plate with four cupcakes. They were a mess, but I still loved that they went to all this trouble just to do something nice for me.

"Your favorite" Liam said, sitting beside me.

I took one of the cupcakes and they all watched me "What?"

"Taste it; we need to know if they are edible" Zayn said.

I shook my head and took a bite "They taste like a red velvet cupcake"

Liam looked at the boys "I'll take that as a success"

"Can I get your opinion on something?" I asked.

Liam nodded. 

I stood and went into one of the spare bedrooms that had been turned into a music room for the time being.

The boys followed me and watched me.

"I haven't written new music since the accident, which you know"

They nodded.

"Well, Liam, I haven't been sleeping music over the last week and a half, so I come in here and attempt to work; in that time I finally wrote something"

"That's great" he said, glad to see that I was writing again.

I nodded "One of the reasons I was insisting on going into the studio today, was because I desperately needed feedback to see if I still have it in me to write a song"

"And you want us to listen, since that rude producer never gave you the chance?" Louis asked.

"Exactly"

They sat down on the love seat.

I sat down at the keyboard, way too nervous. I've written so many songs, and I was never scared to put it out, but since I decided to be a songwriter, I've never gone more than two weeks without writing something.

I guess I was just worried that after all this time had passed, maybe my talent disappeared.

They watched me.

I cleared my throat "Keep in mind, it's probably rough; just don't get your hopes up that it will be good like my previous stuff" I sighed "It's also a new sound, so yeah"

Zayn smiled "Whether it's good or not, the fact that you're finally writing again means that there's still something in you"

I took a deep breath.

(Play video)

You never took my side, never let me shine, it was never the truth
Lies, lies
Let me believe that you'll never leave
I thought I had nothing to lose
Why, why
Now here I am, singing the blues

But I wanna thank you for letting me down
Cause I won't fall as hard the next time around
I know life isn't fair, and you told me to suffer the scars
But I wanna thank you for breaking my heart

I let you inside
I treated you kind
I wait for you every time and time
And I should've known I'd be better alone
But none of it was real
I was blind, blind
Now here I am, singing the blues

But I wanna thank you for letting me down
Cause I won't fall as hard the next time around
I know life isn't fair, and you told me to suffer the scars
But I wanna thank you for breaking my heart

If you hadn't left me hurting so bad
No, I'd never know how strong I am
I would be ready to meet somebody new:
A real man

But I wanna thank you for letting me down
Cause I won't fall as hard the next time around
I know life isn't fair, and you told me to suffer the scars
But I wanna thank you for breaking my heart

I wanna thank you for breaking my heart  

They sat back and I waited for a response.

"That's a really different sound" Louis said.

Zayn nodded "I mean, I know you have a big voice behind you, but damn"

I smiled "Really?"

Liam looked at me "I know you have a sound that your two albums show, but I think you need to experiment more with this"

"You were worried that your talent was gone, but if anything it just matured so much" Louis commented.

Zayn walked over to me "I can't wait to hear more of what you've got planned"

I smiled. My second album wasn't out yet, but as far as a third album, I wanted to work on some new songs and strip it down. 

Sometimes change is good.