-34-

Darren and I were sitting in the car, on our way to the party. We hadn't said a single word to one another since we actually left in the car, which was driving me crazy.

He kept looking at me questioningly, until I finally looked out the window to avoid having to see him look at me like that. 

"What is going on with us?" he asked.

"What do you mean?"

"This" he said, turning to me "I've noticed things have been really weird between us late, which worries me; we've always been so close, so what changed?"

I took a deep breath, knowing that no matter what this was going to be uncomfortable "How long have you actually had feelings for me?"

He looked surprised by my response and started looking for the right words to say "What are you talking about?"

"Please don't play dumb" I said, staring at him "The day we recorded our duet, I overheard you talking to Kurt about how you've liked me and if Liam weren't around you would ask me out"

"How did you hear that? You were in the booth"

"Kurt left the microphone on"

He started to speak, but stopped and took a deep breath "I pushed them away"

"What?"

"I pushed away my feelings, so we would have a strong professional relationship, as well as a friendship"

"When did this even start?"

He sighed "I noticed my attraction to you when I first heard you singing in the studio; I watched you losing yourself in the song and you just looked so beautiful. However, it became more than just a physical attraction when we started working late hours about two months later, on your first single"

I didn't know what to say.

"You were this bright eyed girl, finally getting to accomplish your dream; you were just so confident in your talent. You were my favorite part about coming to work, and I just didn't know what to do"

"Why didn't you tell me before I went on tour? I'm not saying we would be together, but Liam wasn't an issue then"

"Gracie, yes he was. For days, I watched you sing about this guy who you still clearly had feelings for.  You were clearly not ready for anything, so I stepped back, besides you were barely eighteen at that point; I didn't want people getting the wrong idea" he took my hand "I never expected you to return the same feelings; and honestly, I just didn't want to lose what I already had with you"

I looked down, feeling emotional. 

I heard a click and saw he unbuckled his seat belt, and was now facing me "But I know you love Liam, it so clear that he is the only guy you have eyes for" he lifted my chin up "You are so happy with him, and as much as I wish I was the one making you happy, I would never come between you and him; your happiness means more to me than my own, and I will not cross a line with you"

"I'm pregnant" I whispered.

"What?"

The car came to a stop at a red light.

I looked at him "I'm pregnant"

He sighed and nodded "Are you happy?"

"I don't know if I can"

"What do you mean?" he asked, moving closer to me.

I shook my head "I want to be excited about this, but I can't. I keep expecting the world to just come crashing down because of this, and I'm scared that Liam will freak out; I don't even know if I'm ready for any of it"