-98-

Everything is supposed to happen for a reason.

Everything happens because it was meant to happen.

What if you could change it?

What if one decision you made prevented an event?

It only seems fitting that one of the best days of my life can also be one of the worst days as well.

I keep running everything through my head. 

If we had delayed getting in the car; if we made a different turn; if we didn't take the scenic route

When it comes down to it, it's always the "what if" game that will haunt my thoughts.

When I woke up, it was dark. Someone speaking French was trying to get my attention, as I felt so incredibly weak.

Did Liam find help?

More time passed as an ambulance arrived, getting me out of the car that I had been trapped in for who knows how long.

I just knew that it was dark now, the rain had stopped, and Liam wasn't anywhere nearby as I was placed in the ambulance.

"No, you don't understand!" I cried.

They kept speaking French, and I just wanted to make it clear that Liam was still out there somewhere.

Why didn't he return?

When I got to the hospital, I threw a fit until I got to speak to someone who spoke English. She informed authorities that Liam had gone out for help and was still wandering around. 

My body hurt so bad. I was given morphine to help with the pain, but they didn't understand that it wasn't just physical. 

I was told that I had a dislocated shoulder, and that cuts were all over my arm, chest and especially the left side of my face. Tiny pieces of glass were buried in my hair. 

The whole left side of my body was so banged up; it made sense though, since it was thrown with the car as it hit the ground. 

To make it easier to check for any chest problems, especially broken ribs, they had to cut apart the top of my wedding dress. I was left with a towel to cover my chest. 

I wasn't sure if it was the morphine or what, but I felt so numb. 

It was several hours before I was able to be released. At that time, authorities were out looking for Liam, while I was being escorted back to the hotel.

When Liam is found, he would either be alive or.

No. 

I will not finish that though. 

As I entered the hotel room, I had most of my belongings in a plastic bag; I was dressed in a hospital gown, holding the remains of my wedding gown.

It was dirty and wet. It was so beautiful once. 

We never even got a picture together in our outfits. 

I tossed my things on the floor and looked at the flowers covering the bed. My lip trembled as I realized Liam had planned something special for our return. 

In a fit of anger, I ripped the blanket off, dumping the flowers to the ground and throwing it back to the bed. 

I sunk down onto the bed, staring at the door as if Liam was just going to walk through it. 

I kept staring at the door, waiting for Liam to walk through, as if everything didn't happen. I wanted this to just be a terrible dream, and I'd wake up to find Liam beside me.

This wasn't a dream though.

My phone rang and I took it out of the plastic bag, surprised to see that it was still working. 

I hooked it up to my charger and answered the call from Louis. 

"I'm sorry to interrupt your trip, but your dad said he's been trying to get in touch with you; he wanted to tell you how Darren is"

"Louis" I said, my voice cracking as I spoke for the first time in five hours. 

"Is everything alright?"

"No, I just" I paused, trying not to cry on the phone "I need one of you to come to France"

"Gracie, your voice sounds awful; what's wrong?" he asked, his tone getting more serious, and the noise in the background stopping. 

I bet the other guys were with him. 

"Something's happened" I whispered. 

"Lads, shut up!" Louis said "What do you mean something's happened?"

I swallowed hard "There was an accident"

"Are you two alright?"

"No"

"Gracie"

I took a deep and shaky breath "They're out looking for Liam"

There was a long pause "What?"

"We were on a road; it was raining" I replayed the moment in my head, getting emotional as it played out "The car flipped, and we were stuck; Liam got out, but he couldn't get the seat belt to unlatch, so he went for help"

"And then what?"

"I blacked out. When I woke up, some French farmer had found me" my lip quivered "Liam never returned"

He cleared his throat, clearly upset by what he had just heard "One of us will leave within the hour; where are you staying?"

"I'm in Montpellier, at the La Villa Nova Hotel" I answered. That was the easiest thing I've said in this whole conversation. 

"One of us will be there and we'll call and get to you, alright?" he asked.

I sighed "Please hurry. If anything has happened to him, I can't be alone"

"I know, Gracie. Just try and get some rest. I know that's asking for a lot, but you need it." he said.

"Yeah, that um. That's a good idea" I said, feeling the numbness take over once again. 

"Just try to think positively" he said,trying to hide the fact that even he had his doubts. 

Before anything else could be said, I hung up and walked back to the bed, seeing more of the things Liam had set up. 

There were hydrangeas in vases and champagne. 

My eyes watered and I grabbed the champagne bottle, throwing it at the wall as I let out a scream "It's not fair!"

Without thinking, I grabbed the vase of hydrangeas and threw them as well. 

I looked at the room, seeing the mess.

I was breathing hard and my heart was racing so hard, it felt like it would beat through my chest.

I collapsed onto the bed and started sobbing, into the pillow.

I felt broken.

I felt lost.

I felt hopeless.

I know that I'm supposed to be strong, but it was easier said than done. 

All I could think about was Liam being gone permanently.

After everything that has happened, this wasn't the way it was supposed to end up.

We were supposed to be celebrating the marriage, but instead, I'm here, unaware if my husband is dead or not.

I hugged the pillow and didn't move.

I didn't bother changing, I didn't want to move anymore.

I just wanted to lay here, until Liam was found and everything was better once again.

I don't want Darren being raised with his father.

I don't want to be a widow.

I continued crying, feeling the weight of the world crash on me and there was nothing I could do to change it.