-53-

I was seated in Simon's office, waiting for him to return.

"Gracie, sorry for the wait" he said, taking a seat.

"It's fine"

He smiled "I'm sure you've heard that Naomi has been fired"

"As horrible as it sounds, it was just about the best news I've received in some time"

"I am well aware that things have not been easy since Darren passed away. No one was more qualified to produce your album" he said, clearing his throat "However, we do need to move forward with the album"

I nodded "The album was supposed to be released back in May, but what's the plan now?"

"I know that about half was completed with Darren's help. You then recorded four songs with Naomi, which she ruined. There are fourteen tracks for this album, as you know"

"And then two bonus tracks for the deluxe edition" 

He nodded "I want to know how long you think you'd need"

"If I have the right producer, I can get it out"

He smiled "Just what I like to hear" he stood "There are two people in the studio right now, eager to work with you and get your album out. Now they haven't produced before, but I have confidence in them" 

We walked to the doorway.

"If you need anything, anything at all, come to me and I will help you out" he put his hand on my shoulder "I know what you're capable of Gracie"

I walked out of his office and made my way to the studio portion of the building, anxious about getting my music out properly.

When I walked in, I saw Zayn and Harry sitting there.

"What are you guys doing here?"

Zayn smiled "Oh, just getting ready to produce the remainder of this album"

I grinned "Are you serious?"

Harry nodded "It took some convincing, but Simon knew how much we believed in your work, and he knew that we've been wanting to do some work like this"

"I'm officially excited to be back" 

"Do you have any new songs that you want to start working on?"

I smiled "There was a song that I tried to work on before, but Naomi just made it miserable because she said it was too acoustic"

Zayn shook his head "Show us"

I took out my guitar and got situated "I feel bad for you guys?"

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Because you now have the job of listening to me work" 

Zayn chuckled "I'm sure we'll make it out alive"

I started strumming on the guitar.

(Play video)

Can't stay with you, but I'll miss you
Soles on fire, I can't see through
All the smokey, smoking higher
And I don't know what to do

See the shadow, it stays beside me
In my dreams, it never likes me
Oh, it's a long road that I've created
I've got it under control

So why am I walking?
And this I don't know
Why I keep walking in circles
When I've got nowhere to go

Sand pulls quicker, sinks me deeper
I like the feeling, I let it linger
Where's my education? What was I thinking? Been lying to myself all along
And I knew I was wrong, I could tell in your eyes the love is gone.
And I know I can't fix what I have done
So I keep walking until I'm numb

And why am I walking?
And this I don't know
Why I keep walking in circles
When I've got nowhere to go

But I'll do this alone, and every tear I know is mine
And I will feel it in my bones, I'll be okay, just let me hide
Patterns change, just like the tide

And why am I walking?
And this I don't know
And I keep walking in circles
When I've got nowhere, got nowhere, to go

And why am I talking? When I have nothing to say
My head is a maze, and I'm not finding my way

But I can't stay with you, but I'll miss you
Soles on fire, I can't see through
All the smokey, smoking higher
My feet won't bring me to you

I finished and Harry immediately sat forward "I think we should strip it down, focus a lot on the acoustic and your voice, make it sound breathy"

I smiled "I already love this"

"Let's get you in the booth, play the song on your guitar and we'll work on vocals next" Zayn said, eager to get to work.

I went into the booth, feeling so happy about this arrangement. 

---

"I didn't realize how many songs you recorded with Darren" Harry said, looking at the hard drive. 

I nodded "We had so much unfinished and so many songs that just didn't work out, but it's crazy that my career is in that thing.

"Do you have an idea of what all you want?" Zayn asked.

"Darren mixed eight songs for the album. We knew which ones were supposed to be on it, but the rest was still open"

Harry nodded and looked at a sheet of paper "I wrote down the songs that are already signed off by you for the album, so we just need to rerecord the ones that Naomi butchered, and work out the other details"

"I can't tell you how happy I am to have you two helping me out" I smiled "I feel like we've got more work done in this first day than I got with Naomi at all.

Zayn smiled "We were really eager to do this, and we know that no one is going to replace Darren, but we're glad this is working out.

"We should probably go over the schedule for the next studio day" Harry said.

He looked so professional and was always taking notes. It made me smile watching him take this so seriously, while Zayn was so excited about working on the music and getting everything right. 

They knew how to push me.

"I think we should work on the instrumentals for That Was Us and The Breakdown, and work on the vocals for Skin" Harry suggested.

I smiled "That sounds good" 

Everything just felt so right.