-60-

It was almost seven when I got to the studio. 

Five hours had passed, and I was sitting in the studio, just working on details for the tour. 

I hoped that Kurt would be here, but he had already left. I didn't want to be alone, but I didn't want to be home.

When I got home,  I thought that the fighting would be over with. I don't even know what it is that we're fighting about. What are we fighting about? I sighed and sat up. This is too stressful.

"Gracie, is that you?" I heard someone ask.

I looked up and saw Colton standing there. What was he doing here so late?

"Hey, Colton" 

"What are you doing here so late?" 

"Just getting some work done" I said, sitting up. 

"Working this late? Harry and Zayn aren't even here" he said, kneeling down next to me.

"I just don't want to be home" I admitted.

"Why is that?" 

"Liam and I are fighting" 

He looked surprised "Still? I thought things would be resolved by now"

"So did I" I said, looking down.

"Colton are you back here?" someone asked.

"I'm back here, Xander" Colton called.

"Who's here with you?" I asked.

"My boyfriend" 

A guy walked in, with black hair, green eyes, and some lip piercings. He was very handsome.

"Xander, this is Gracie" Colton said.

"Gracie Dixon. I'm a big fan" Xander said, smiling.

I lightly smiled back "It's nice to meet you"

"I thought you were waiting in the car" Colton said.

"Got bored" Xander said, shrugging.

"Gracie, how long are you going to stay here?" 

I shrugged "I don't know, maybe all night"

"The fighting must really upset you" 

"It's killing me, honestly" I admitted.

"Just don't let it beat you up and if he's smart he'll show up and apologize" he said.

I nodded "I don't even know what it is we are fighting over, it's just all so complicated"

"Just don't turn it into a Taylor Swift song" Xander said, laughing.

Colton hit his arm and shook his head "Ignore him"

"You two go ahead and leave. I'm fine, I will be fine" I said.

Colton gave me a hug "Call if you need anything, promise?"

I nodded "I promise"

"Okay"

They both gave me a smile then left.

I sighed and walked over to the recording booth. 

I walked in and looked around. 

Flashbacks were going through my head and it wasn't all good ones. I remembered recording my debut album with Darren. I remember hiding who the ex- boyfriend was from Darren and Simon, even though they asked over and over. 

I remember being in this booth from the beginning. I always turned to this booth whenever inspiration hit me and I had nothing else to give. 

Moments like this are what I turned to it for. I took a seat on the stool and looked at the front, closing my eyes.

--- 

"Gracie, that was amazing!" Darren said, smiling at me.

Darren was really cute and an amazing singer and producer. I don't understand how I got so lucky, finding someone who was perfect at this. He knew exactly how to make this whole thing easier. 

It was awkward being in the same record label as Liam, but I'd been here for almost three months and have yet to run into him.

Thank god.

"This is definitely going to be a hit on your album. What did you call it again?" he asked.

"2 AM" I answered.

He nodded "That's what I thought. That makes three completed songs for the album!"

"I can't believe I'm getting closer!"

"I have a meeting with Simon later this week. I think he wants you to do a couple performances before the album comes out" he said.

"Am I ready for that?" I asked.

He nodded "Gracie, you can take on the world if you wanted to"

I lightly smiled "Thanks, Darren. What would I do without you?"

"Be at a loss" he said, smirking.

I really would. He has gotten me through so much, I would be nowhere without him, I'd be lost without him.

"Let's try and do 'I Swear I Was Never In Love' I really need you to hit that emotion, because the song is brilliant, you just need the emotion to get it" he said.

"I can't find it though" I said.

"Do we have to drag that ex in here?" he asked, shaking his head.

"Not funny" I said.

"I know, last thing we need is some asshole in here to hurt you again. He can stay as far away as he is" he said, looking at me with such concern in his eyes. 

"That's ironic" I muttered.

"What?" 

"Nothing, let's run it" I said, placing the head phones back on.

- --

I opened my eyes and noticed that tears were streaming down my cheeks. I missed Darren so much and I did feel lost without him. It wasn't fair, it never was.

I walked out of the booth and looked back at it, I needed to make some changes and it needed to happen. There was no escaping. I depended too much on people, when I should just go back to keeping my private life and professional life separate. They can't cross paths, despite the obvious fact that they have to.

I sighed and walked back over to the couch. I couldn't wait to go on tour, maybe I needed the distance. 

Maybe It's what I want.