20. Being Recognised.

Songs for this chapter:

Gift of A Friend- Demi Lovato

Pictures- Benjamin Francis Leftwich

Photograph- Ed Sheeran

~~~~~~~~~~

Tyler's pov

I think back to yesterday. Spending the day at the beach. Having fun with the two others. It made me realise how happy I am to have them.

Connor, he has his laugh, quirkyness and his humour. Noelani, she has her smile, her personality, her strength and the will to carry on during tough times. And me, I have my best friends, my family and my people.

As a teen I was similar to Noelani, but for me I found it hard to find the people who would accept me for being gay. I would be bullied but I would never self harm. They would never physically hurt me, they would just call me names and write 'faggot' on my dorm room and locker.

But in my last two years of college that's when I came across Connor. He actually accepted me straight away. He stood up to the bullies as they were shoving me into a corner calling me names and making fun of my sexuality. He has been my only friend since I was 16. I have had the odd friends but they always left me within a few weeks.

We would tell each other everything, hang out, share a dorm room, sat next to each other in classes, play pranks of others, and just have a laugh in general. And let's not forget having parties and getting drunk! I felt right and our friendship was great and we never had any troubles. Yes we would have the odd argument but we still stayed as friends.

Then at the airport, meeting Noelani, there was something about her that made me feel like I shouldn't just let her go. I don't know if it was her personality or the way she respected me and Connor. Or the way she managed to stay calm and treat us like we were already friends.

I haven't regretted letting her stay here one part. I love her as a friend. And I hope she wants to stay with me and Connor as much as we both do.

I hear a knock on my door. "Come in." I say quietly. They open the door and Noelani walks in. "Hi." I say smiling. She doesn't say a word. She lays down next to me and and looks up at the ceiling.

"Hey." She says quietly.

"Are you okay?" I ask her.

"I guess." She says staring at the ceiling still.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm just happy to be here and have you as friends." I see the corner of her lips raise slightly.

"We aren't your friends. We are your family." I tell her.

"Well your the best family I have ever had." I see a tear well up in her eyes. I take her hand in mine and squeeze it gently. She squeezes mine back. "Sorry, I just like having the company of another." She says.

"Don't be sorry. It's fine." I say looking at her. She looks at me and smiles. Her smile turns into a smirk and she starts tickling me. I scream with laughter and she runs out my room. I run after to her and she is hiding somewhere.

Connor comes out his room sleepily. "What's going on?" He asks rubbing his eyes.

"Noelani is hiding." I giggle. We both walk out and we see pancakes and coffee on the table with a smiling Noelani.

"I made breakfast but I didn't know how to get you out of bed. So I thought if I tickle someone with a high pitch squeal it would wake up the other." She says laughing.

"Girl, I do not have a girly squeal. I am a man. I am manly!" I say with a deep voice. Connor tickles me and I squeal.

"Definitely a girl." Connor laughs. Noelani giggles.