It's Better to Burn Out than...

By Myownthing666

After Ruby Stockins's ex-boyfriend kills himself, she thinks that she will never date again. Until one day wh... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Author's Note

Chapter 86

63 1 0
By Myownthing666

January 28, 1993

We drove to Kurt's mom's house to have dinner there. She hadn't seen us in a while, so we thought that it would be nice for her to see us again. 

"Are you ever going to speak to your father?" I asked Kurt as we pulled into her driveway. 

"No need to," He shut that conversation down quickly. I decided not to egg him on; I didn't want to argue with him. 

I unbuckled Lorelai as he grabbed Frances's car seat. Then, I grabbed Melissa's car seat. We knocked on the door and were greeted by Kim. 

"Hi guys!" She held the door wide open. 

I walked inside, took my shoes off, and set down Melissa by the stairs. 

"Is Frances asleep?" I asked Kurt. 

"Yeah," He said. 

"Put her down next to Lorelai."

"Lorelai?"

"Shoot, I mean Melissa."

Lorelai giggled. "Silly Mommy."

I walked into the kitchen and saw that Wendy was making some food. 

"Do you need some help?" I offered. 

"Oh, that's alright. I'm almost done anyway. Kim can help. Where are the littles?"

She ran out of the kitchen as Kim walked in. 

"I'll help," I told her. 

"No, that's alright. There's nothing really to help with."

Just then, I heard a baby cry. Was it mine?

"Frances is awake," Kurt said. 

Just then, another baby cried. 

Frances woke up Melissa. 

I sighed and kneeled down in front of her carseat and took her out. 

"Do you have a high chair?" I asked Wendy, clearly overstimulated by all of the noise. 

"I don't know!" She yelled. 

I rolled my eyes and grabbed Melissa's bottle out of the diaper bag. I sat down on the couch and fed her. 

"There's a jar of food in here, right?" Kurt asked. 

"There should be," I said. 

"Found it! I'm going to feed Frances."

"Mommy, where are my dolls?" Lorelai asked. 

"Did you not bring them inside?" I looked around to see if her dolls were anywhere.

"No, I left them in the car."

I sighed. "Just wait one second, okay? I'll grab them once I'm done feeding Melissa."

"But Mommy-" She whined. 

"No!" I cut her off. "You're not going to be whining, Lorelai. I am busy right now."

She groaned and stomped into the kitchen. I sighed, feeling terribly stressed out. I didn't even get a second to relax before the girls started crying. 

After Melissa was done eating, I burped her, set her down on the ground, and rushed to the car to get Lorelai's dolls. As I came back inside, I heard Melissa wailing. Lorelai snatched the dolls from me and I picked Melissa up. 

"Jesus Christ," I put her binky in her mouth to make her stop crying. I sat down at the kitchen table with Kurt. "I can't catch a break."

"Tell me about it," He got up and threw away the jar of peas.

Frances had green all over her face. "Kurt, please tell me you're going to wipe her down."

"I will, Ruby," He grabbed the wipes and wiped her down. 

"Would you like me to hold her?" Kim asked me. 

"If you want to."

She nodded her hand, so I placed Melissa in her arms and sighed. I went into the kitchen and started getting Lorelai's plate of food ready while also getting mine. 

"Kurt, do you want me to get your plate, too?" I asked him. 

"Yes, that would be helpful."

I would just make myself a different plate. I gave Kurt the plate that was supposed to be mine, then I gave Lorelai her plate of food. 

"Don't eat it yet," I told her. 

"Mmm, burgers. Yum," She rubbed her stomach. 

I got myself a plate, then sat down next to Lorelai. 

I finally got the chance to sit down and shut my eyes, trying to compose myself. 

"You alright?" Kurt started giving me a back massage.

I groaned loudly. "Oh my God, please don't stop, Kurt. Please. I really need this; It feels so good."

Kim gave us a skeptical look and I flipped her off. Jokingly, of course. 

I took Melissa from Kim and sat back down, waiting for Wendy and Kim to get their food. After they did, Kim sat down next to Kurt and Wendy sat down on her own side. 

"Wow, leave me all by myself," Wendy scoffed. 

"I'll sit by you," Lorelai sat down in the chair next to Wendy's. 

Wendy didn't even say thank you or anything. She even glared at Lorelai a little. 

"Excuse me?" I asked Wendy. 

"What?" She asked. 

Calm down, I told myself. Calm down. 

"Nothing," I shoved some food in my mouth to keep it shut. I would not let her treat my daughter like she doesn't belong. It must be so hard for Wendy to treat her like her fucking granddaughter, but she would learn to. "Lorelai, did you finish your schoolwork from today?"

"Yeah. Grandma and Grandpa helped me."

"They did?"

"Yeah."

"That was nice of them."

"Thanks for inviting us, Mom," said Kurt. 

"Of course," She smiled. 

"You alright?" Kim whispered to me. 

"Yeah, I'm alright," I said. 

Just then, I smelled an awful smell. 

"Goddamnit," I slammed my fork down on the table and grabbed the diaper bag, then slammed the bathroom door shut. I then realized there was nowhere for me to change Melissa in there, so I went back into the living room and laid her down on the floor. "Kurt, will you grab a grocery bag for me please?"

Shortly after, he brought me one. I wiped Melissa, holding my nose from the awful stench her shit made. I wrapped up the diaper, put it in the grocery bag, then put her in a new diaper. I walked into her backyard and threw it in the trash bin, walked back inside, and sat back down to eat. 

"You alright?" Kurt asked. "Do you want me to take her?"

"No, no. I wouldn't want to put that on you."

"Ruby," He made his way over to me and took Melissa from me, then sat back down. 

I could feel everyone's eyes on me, but I decided not to look at them and continue to eat my food. 

After everyone finished eating, we sat down on the couch in the living room. As Wendy and Kurt talked about our time in Rio, I laid down with Melissa and Frances on the floor. They both just laid down on their stomachs. 

"Tummy time," I giggled at Melissa. 

There was definitely favoritism everywhere and it bothered me. Wendy favored Melissa and Frances over Lorelai-same with Kurt. I favored Melissa and Lorelai over Frances. I think that I always had a resentment towards Frances since she was created from Kurt cheating on me, but I felt bad since it wasn't her fault. She was incredibly cute and sweet, though. It's not like I went out of my way to neglect her, but I knew that I favored Melissa and Lorelai more. I hated it.

 I could always tell that Kurt favored Melissa and Frances more just because Lorelai wasn't his. He tried so hard not to make it obvious, but I could tell. Thankfully, Lorelai couldn't. Kim didn't favor any of them-she loved them all both equally. My parents didn't really care for Frances since they never had to watch her or anything like that. They would treat her well and care for her, but they never really had to. 

"Ruby, should we tell Wendy our news?" Kurt asked me. 

I sat on the floor in between his legs and spread mine out across the floor. 

"Sure," Was all I said. 

"Ruby and I got married in Rio," Kurt said. 

"What?!" Wendy shrieked. "Why?!"

"Because we wanted to get legally married and then have the ceremony later."

"Congratulations," Kim said. 

"Oh. Wow. And I wasn't invited?"

"No one else was invited, Wendy," I snapped. "We didn't want to invite anyone else, hence the elopement."

"Jesus Christ, Ruby," Kurt sighed. 

"Should I leave?" I stood up. 

"Should you?" He looked hurt. 

"I'm just really upset right now and I feel like I'm bringing everyone down."

"I mean if you want."

"I could always drive Kurt back home," Kim offered. 

"I'll take Lorelai with me," I said. "Lorelai, please get your shoes on."

"Mommy, I don't want to leave," She whined.

"I'll buy you ice cream on the way home," I told her. 

"Yay!"

"I don't appreciate how your mother treats Lorelai," I whispered in Kurt's ear. 

"She doesn't treat her like anything."

"Oh really? Because if she wasn't doing anything, then I wouldn't be as pissed off as I am right now. I am so fucking angry because just because she's not related to her biologically does not mean that she's not family. But Melissa and Frances get all the love!"

Kurt grew angry, but I left before he could say anything. 

I was angry, too. I needed to leave. 

I needed to get out of there. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 126 30
( Dave Grohl ♡ Kurt Cobain ) Frances has told her mother that her father still exists. Yet Courtney wasn't having it. What if Dave believes too? (Fr...
17.9K 447 82
A string of tough events leaves Elizabeth with nothing. When Kurt finds her, all that changes. But soon life 's challenges start getting in the way...